dyed fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found this website about dyed fish. It has a whole bunch of info and a list and some pictures of the types of fish that are dyed.
I know there have been some topics and questions on this subject and thought this was interesting.

http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

Yes, it is horrible. More people should read that site before purchasing fish. It's sad that it even occurs.

I won't be buying from any stores that carry dyed fish.

I had never even heard of dyed fish until now. That's so sad, I can't believe people really do that. I won't be buying from stores that carry them either.

Thanks for posting that link, it really helps with awareness of dyed fish!
For me whenever I read that list of dyed fish it makes me want to cry. Sometimes it is hard to tell if a fish has been dyed so that list is excellent.

Before you completely boycott your LFS's that carry dyed fish...I do suggest you talk to them first.

Tell them you don't agree with it, and that if they continue to sell such fish, they'll lose you as a customer.

LFS are in business for the money, and if people want dyed blood parrots and tetra, the LFS will supply them.
The less demand, the less they'll carry.

I really despise this being done to fish, how sadistic can you get.

There should be more laws to protect fish, they are living beings ad deserve protection.

Thankfully my LFS is very protective of thier fish, they are activly against the dying of fish and every worker there is a fish fanatic and very knowlegable on all aspects of the aquarium.

malkore said:
Before you completely boycott your LFS's that carry dyed fish...I do suggest you talk to them first.

Tell them you don't agree with it, and that if they continue to sell such fish, they'll lose you as a customer.

LFS are in business for the money, and if people want dyed blood parrots and tetra, the LFS will supply them.
The less demand, the less they'll carry.

I agree, and the sad truth may be that some LFS' may not even know that is how some of these fish are "made".

excellent site. good to see there are others concerned enough to do something about it. like said previously, the lfs is in it for money and at some point a love of the hobby. you can not blame them, the best you can do is to make it known and inform people. the more people know the better. and the less will be sold and in turn the less fish killed.

I have incountered store management and owners that maybe unaware of this practice.
Well, considing there lack of knowledge of modern fishkeeping I surmized that it would be possible that they wouldn't be aware of this either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom