eBay Search engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just d-l'ed FF and AdblockPlus. I still see the Ebay thing. What's the trick to make it NOT show up?

OK, I blocked the Ebay thing, but everything is still crunched to the left.
Looks like crap............

Sometimes you can block the ad (picture) but the iframe will still be set in the page. Right click in the space and see if you can block the iframe. Its worth a shot.

This is how the page looks to me.

AA-crunched.jpg

Iframe has nothing to do with it. If you take a look at the page source you see the ebay stuff consists of a simple css tag containing links to some ebay javascript code. You can block the javascript, which is among other things what an ad blocker does, and the listings will go away, but that is not causing your layout to be crunched together.

The right navigation menu does that. The standard vbulletin theme is table based instead of css based, so you cannot make it smaller, the page will simply show a horizontal scroll bar. The right menu bar is simply not considered to be an ad. I am guessing the people that have this problem are using 1024x768 monitor resolution. (still the most widely used)
I see it too when I switch back to that res.
The only thing that would fix your issue is getting a wider monitor with more horizontal resolution or changing the resolution on your current monitor to a higher setting, which will make everything look smaller.

There are some FF plugins around that allow you to tinker with the html on a site and tweak it to your liking, but that's probably more hassle than it's worth.
HtH

Welcome to AA!
that is not causing your layout to be crunched together
We know why it's like it is...the admins changed the layout yesterday.
I think everyone, at least me...lol, thinks it looks like crap. All the menu stuff on the right was never inside forum threads before. It was only on the main forum page.

@kingprawn - I didn't really look at the page or code too much as I am at work. I was just giving some hints as to what he could try. Thanks for clearing it up for others.

I must agree, I liked it better the other way. It doesn't look too weird on mine because I got two 22" monitors at work, running at 1280x960.

I made some adjustments hoping it will allow the page to show up properly on a 1024 monitor without needed to scroll. Also, as I posted earlier in the thread, I hope to offer a way to disable the column for most of our contributing members (who are active and have posted).

lol...heck, I kinda don't mind it so much I guess. I bought a new dgital thermometer I've been meaning to get. I wish it was only on certain pages instead of all of the threads though.

While I don't like the crunched format on all the pages either (and I have a wide monitor!), and look forward to when we can "disable" it, just remember folks... this here site is a business now, and ain't the hobby site it used to be. For me at least, it helps keep it in perspective.

To clarify Andy and the Social Knowledge network are the site owners. There is a link at the bottom of the page with other Social Knowledge forums.

Another thing I just noticed. If you are reading this thread, hit back on your browser. It takes you back to the Forum Admin & Tech Support forum main page. Hit back again. Nothing happens. You stay on the same page. Finally hit back a 3rd time and you get out to the main forum listings page.

I applaud Andy for all his hard work on this site and the others. The features he has been adding are a really nice touch to this already awesome website. Thanks again Andy, you're the man! :)

Feedback is a great form of flattery. Be it positive or negative, it shows that the site is relevant and it's participants value it's existence. I surely hope my comments haven't been interpreted as anything but that.

Now that being said...........................

I personally don't mind the ebay listing on the side. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Yes this site was purchased by a business, but have you noticed that it works now without downloading viruses or causing the computer to crash? That fix happened within days of the takeover. Also, it is being updated on a regular basis. Add-ons are being installed to help optimize the site. You may not like every aspect of the site, but not everyone will agree on a setup. I see the Ebay addition as a tool to help bring revenue to the site to keep it running. Without the revenue, the site will be no longer. We wouldn't have the tech support or the upgrades. I don't see that as a bad thing. While 2 of the admins may not be hobbyists, the rest of the community is comprised of aquarists. It's still bringing us all together to exchange information and ask questions.

Yes this site was purchased by a business, but have you noticed that it works now without downloading viruses or causing the computer to crash? That fix happened within days of the takeover.

Better check your info before you start blowing that smoke around. The virus went away just before the purchase. I know because I'm the one that found it for the original owners of the site. While I'm not discounting the fact that with new ownership the site has been more stable, they had NO involvement in resolving the virus issue. None.

I had issues even after the purchase. The new ownership cleared up errors that I was having. So yes, I did "check my info". My computer was still crashing. And unless you were using my computer, you don't know what errors I was having. I for one embrace change and see it as an improvement. There is always room for improvement in anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom