Eco Complete - brown algae since day 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last summer I switched to eco complete from plain gravel (I wanted it for the plants) - established 55 gal.

I do a minimum 50% - 75% water change every week ( and surface clean the eco, tank is not over stocked, well filtered with 2 t5 lights (plant spectrum) on for 7-8 hours a day on a timer. No direct sunlight and subdued light the majority of the time. Feeding is every other day. I do not use C02, or ferts. Seachem Prime and Iron added as prescribed & at water changes, Also root tabs.

Ever since I switched to eco I get a brown algae just above the eco. I clean it weekly and it is back the next week. All my water parameters are fine.

I thought switching to eco would be less work but it turning out to be a lot more work than gravel.

Any ideas?

I'm not experienced with planted tanks, but my guess is the eco complete is providing too much fertilization, so you will have to add plants, start CO2 and/or adjust lighting to balance everything out.

What is your water source?
Are the lights t5ho or just t5?

I'm not experienced with planted tanks, but my guess is the eco complete is providing too much fertilization, so you will have to add plants, start CO2 and/or adjust lighting to balance everything out.

Eco complete doesn't add any nutrients to the tank. It has a high CEC which means it absorbs and holds on to nutrients making them available for plants. It takes a while for it to absorb those nutrients from the food and detritus that collects in the tank.

Eco complete doesn't add any nutrients to the tank. It has a high CEC which means it absorbs and holds on to nutrients making them available for plants. It takes a while for it to absorb those nutrients from the food and detritus that collects in the tank.

Got it. I'm still learning about this stuff because I'm on the fence with getting more involved with planting in the future.

Does algae only take in nutrients from the water column? If so wouldn't the eco complete have nothing to do with this situation?

Back
Top Bottom