Eco complete in tank + Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am really not liking Super Naturals in my 28 gallon bowfront tank. My corys have lost their barbels. Not sure if that is why BUT I can never get it clean.

I was going to go to a planted tank with Eco Complete. This is a low light tank. I was going to plant Java Fern for now and maybe (after a lighting change) Amazon Sword and some sort of grass.

My basic question is does anyone have any warnings as far as going with an organic substrate and corys that have barbel issues? The substrate in this tank will be changing regardless. It is just what is best or not harmful to the corys.

Can I accomplish the same thing with black diamond blasting sand?

Thanks!
Jana

I have Eco in my 220g with a large school or cory's and have no problems. Sand it fine, but I don't know about the kind you are talking about. The one thing with sand is that when/if you plant swords, crypts, etc, you will have to add root tab fertilizer to the sand around the plants.

I was thinking of PFS or Black Diamond Blasting Sand. I prefer the darker so PFS (unless I can find it in black) would't be my first choice.

My tank currently has Super Naturals Carib Sea (the white). It packs so fine there are dark spots and the tank stinks sometimes. I can't seem to get it clean enough. Or FEEL like it is really clean. I don't think it is good for the corys because they are constantly digging in it and their barbels are gone. So I want to change.

I am only really putting in some Java Fern for now so I know it doesn't require much. My biggest concern is the corys. I assume Eco Complete is safe in a barely planted tank too right?

It is but it's would kind of be a waste of money if your not really going to put plants in it. It's about $20-$25 a bag depending on where you live.

Yeah I will plant some Java Fern BUT until my lighting is better I am not sure I could do more. Thanks for the information!

In a low light tank you can do Java ferns, both kinds (lace java fern windelov), anubias, crypts, swords, Bolbitus heudelotii (a beautiful african fern), dwarf sag, and many Apnogetons. There are others but this gives you an idea of what you could plant now. In low light the plants grow, just slower.

I have Eco complete in my 20g planted and had six cories in there. When I got my 55g I used pool filter sand as well as planted it. Moved my cories over and added four more and they went nuts!! They seem so much happier with the sand. You can actually see them sifting through it!! I do wish I would have gone with a darker sand though as I am constantly vacuuming fish poo bc it is black and my sand is white and I am OCD;) but I do have to use root tabs once a month and I dose frets but in my 20g I don't have to use them unless I want to.

Great thanks! I'll check those out. When I say low light I mean LOW light. I have 3 LED pucks which light it nicely but in a mellow way if that makes sense. I will check out the strength of the lights I have and the lights I will be replacing with soon and go from there. I appreciate all the help I really new to plants. :)

I grow swords and water sprite in my 20g high with 15 watt lights:) also have some banana plants in there:)

I do wish I would have gone with a darker sand though as I am constantly vacuuming fish poo bc it is black and my sand is white and I am OCD;)

Haha, same here. I have had fish in my 29 for a week but I have done 3 50% water changes already. I cannot stand the look of fish poop on the sand.

Back
Top Bottom