Eco-complete now in fine grain.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phishfriend

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thinking of using it in a few shrimp tanks. Has anyone used it? Thoughts? Reviews?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know Old Scales and Rivercats have mentioned using it. OS said that it gentler on plant roots and Cory friendly. My shrimp are messy eaters and food falls between the regular size EcoComplete grains. Not sure if this would occur less with the fine grain (or if the shrimp would have better access to the leftovers since it would be easier to dig through).

I used eco complete for a planted tank and saw no difference with that than just regualr sand. I think its a rip off. I used it in a low tech planted setup. Maybe it does more in a high tech setup? But for what I did it was just obsurdly expensive sand.

HI NY,
Yes sand works for plants but substrates like Eco are not rip offs. Please research CEC and redox of nutrients in aquatic substrates. Many university studies are published that can be googled about its value. OS.

HI NY,
Yes sand works for plants but substrates like Eco are not rip offs. Please research CEC and redox of nutrients in aquatic substrates. Many university studies are published that can be googled about its value. OS.

Im just using my eyeballs. They told me that eco complete did NOTHING for my plants. Thats all. Like I said though, it could have been somthing that was more complicated and I didnt know. And even if they do somethig...wouldnt it eventually stop having its specail powers? Then you need to BUY more?

When you first put in sand or Eco like strates, at first they are basically the same as far as nutrients. Eco does add some enzymes for future absorbtion. But, as time goes by and you are dosing ferts in the water, the fish are laying down wastes, and even root tabs are used, all that gets held by the porous micro structures and absorbtion features of the man processed particles in ECO. Sand particles can absorb some too but only about 10% as efficiently. In a low tech tank it can get you by ok. But as months and even years go by, the Eco will out perform the sand as it holds and processes much more nutrients. The lighter, looser packing of the man made strates let migration of gasses and elements pass through better allowing the necessary biology of nutrient reduction and oxidation to occur. Neither sand nor the Eco like strates would ever wear out. So yes you are right that sand will work but strates like Eco are NOT a waste of money. Hope this helps. OS.

I just ordered 3 bags of the fine grade Eco Complete for my 36 G I'm turning into a planted. I have a group of corys, and I've heard the same -- Cory friendly.

image-3217323677.jpg

My shrimp don't mind it at all, breeding like crazy. I put glacial silt under it " if you have that option"

Sorry all I should have been a bit more informative. I'v had the eco reg in a 40 gal for over a year and love it. NY, not sure why your unhappy with eco but it's unfounded. I was just curious about anyones thoughts on the fine grain for shrimp.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom