Eco-complete vs. Layered substrate - for newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Which one would be better for a plant noob? Right now I have sand, and that hasn't worked out to well. I have some time to switch out the substrate and want to get more into plants. There's 2wpg of NO fluoros right now, w/o CO2.

The tank is a 20 gallon long 30 x 12 in. So I was either going to go with 3 bags of eco-complete or a bag of Soil Master Select, peat, and laterite.

Obviously, the eco-complete route is going to be more expensive. But other than the $ is one better than the other? Is one going to give me more problems as a noobie? Which one would you recommend?

I'd say go with the eco.........you'll only need 2 bags in that size tank and the other route is gonna be messy.

Maybe it's just me but the layered option just aint worth the trouble.

I would go with Eco Complete. It's all I use. I do have one tank with Volcanit as well, and it does very well too. And I like the color.

The calc is right......but ya only need 2"

I have 1 bag in a 20 long and its shallow......bout 1".........but doable.

So 2 bags oughta give ya 2".

You'll want 3 bags in a 20 long. I agree, the eco is a better solution. You can also consider the schultz aquatic soil from Lowe's or Home Depot. Much cheaper, and so far I've been very happy with the results. YOu'd only need 2 bags for that 20 long of the schultz

I used 1 and 1/4 bag of Eco in my 10 gallon tank. It has a depth of about 2 inches, I think. When I had large Pogostemon stellatus plants, I had no problem keeping them rooted. Buy 2 bags first, and then see if you want a third bag.

The Eco Complete, in my opinion, would be nicer than the Schultz aquatic soil. I tried the Schultz and it was very dusty. It took almost a week to settle in the tank. I ditched it at this point for the Eco. Every time you replant a stem, you'll kick up some of the sediment and cloud the water slightly, for awhile. I don't know how the plants grow in the Schultz - I'm sure they will grow fine. My main reason for changing over to Eco was because the Schultz was too dusty for me. I had a coughing fit as I put it in the tank! It is cheaper then the Eco, but if dustiness would be a problem for you, then be aware that the Schultz is extremely dusty.

I agree with the Eco....and also to start with 2 bags and if you really think you need another to get one later. I have 4 bags (80 lbs) in a 55 and it is about 2.5" throughout the tank. 1 bag in a 10g gives about the same depth. I have had no problems rooting any plants, for that matter the plants love the Eco so much they grow roots like crazy!

An t-iasg said:
I tried the Schultz and it was very dusty. It took almost a week to settle in the tank.

I agree, it was very dusty. But a quick water change after the initial fill cleared mine up within a day, and I haven't seen any dust since, even when planting deep in it. I think I've got like 5" of depth at the back of my tank too.

Back
Top Bottom