Eco-Complete, would it hurt cory's barbels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Everyone, I need some advice...

I'm redoing my 50gallon. I want it heavily planted. I have purchased Eco-Complete black substrate for most of my tank, but, I also am planning on a sand area with a couple dwarf sags only. I have plants coming from AP on Thursday (ship out on Wednesday),
I am explaining all of this because I have been set on having a school of Panda Corydoras when it is time for me to add fish.. The Eco-Complete is a little rough, and I've heard that their barbels can become damaged and worn down from rooting around in rocky substrates. The last thing I want is them to be in discomfort. Do any of you know and have experience with this? Is there a better solution for having some Corys with a substrate best for plant growth?
I have some pictures of the substrate...
any help is so appreciated. Thanks! (y)

Attachments

• WP_002997.jpg
    WP_002997.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 116
It will be fine. Generally barbel erosion is caused by dirty substrate / bad water parameters then the substrate alone. They just stop digging around as much when the substrate isn't sand.

Thanks again Mebbid for your input; you have helped me more than once! :)
Okay, i won't worry about it. I am going to have a sandy region for them-so that's that!

Sounds good! And you're welcome :)

If you want a sandy region then I would suggest making plastic dividers so that the substrates don't mix. You can get some neat aquascaping layouts doing this. "Rivers" of sand look very neat in a tank.

I made a semi-circle, "basket" sorta thing, with one of those plastic water containers. Going to plant a couple dwarf sags, too.

Also, going to document everything by picture/video :)

I'm using fluorite which isn't all that different. My cories "sniff" along the surface of the rocks. When they get the scent of something, they'll stop and nose around in it. They've got the behavior of little beagles sometimes. They also like to root around in my low growing plants. Their barbels have been fine.

I've read in a lot of places they like the sand which I don't have any. And that may be true. But they seem to get a lot of enjoyment out of other terrains as well. (insert asterisk about fish emotions)

Thanks for the replies! I'm just not gonna worry about it, I think they'll be fine. :) Like I said, there will be a sandy area if they want a "break" from the rougher stuff.

Back
Top Bottom