Eel problems :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting. Thanks for the posts! So if i lowered it down to 76 would all the ich come back super fast????????? Or would it stay were its at rite now? Cuz i dont see any spots on my fish anymore

Well, I keep my tanks - all planted communities - at a constant 80 degrees - seems to keep the ich at bay and my fish are all thriving. When I use the Ich Attack Herbal Formula, it recommends no water changes until you see no ich and are done medicating (remember to take the carbon out of your filters) - I had to treat a bit longer - around 2-3 weeks, but because this medication seems gentler on the fish and their environment and I did not have to fuss with water changes every few days, it made it worth it. It does turn your water a nasty brown color but the fish don't care :)

Interesting. Thanks for the posts! So if i lowered it down to 76 would all the ich come back super fast????????? Or would it stay were its at rite now? Cuz i dont see any spots on my fish anymore
Depends. If you have not killed it all, then yes, it will come back unless you also use a medication of some sort. How long has you been treating? How long since you saw the last white spot?

@Clare, IMO 80 degrees isn't enough to keep ich at bay. You said you treated ich with meds, so that probably is what killed the ich. Other than that, I am guessing you just have healthy fish. You can still get ich even at 82 degrees IME. But, water changes and low stress keep ich at bay. So does quarantining new fish so they con't introduce it to our tank.

Do not follow the advice to put him in a bucket. That would be alot of stress and too fast of a temp change. The best thing would be to lower the temp very slowly.
I also keep my tanks at 80 so i dont see how 84 is "way too high"

Do not follow the advice to put him in a bucket. That would be alot of stress and too fast of a temp change. The best thing would be to lower the temp very slowly.
I also keep my tanks at 80 so i dont see how 84 is "way too high"
84 is high for a peacock eel apparently. There is another thread on here about the same sort of situation where GBoy66 (if I remember right) had the same issue with an eel who didn't handle the high temperatures of ich heat treatment well at all. I keep my tanks at 80 degrees as well, but these eels seem to not be able to take it.
I agree that the best thing would be to lower the temp slowly. Clare suggested a med that she has used with an eel, so that sounds like a good bet for the OP.

The high temperatures dont seem to effect him to badly so far.. And i saw the last white spot yesterday... I think im gunna get the medicine today after school. Thanks guys!!

Well, I completely agree and understand that the med is what is predominately responsible for killing the ich in my tank but I believe that keeping the temp stable @ at least 80 degrees after the ich is cured is what helps keep new outbreaks from starting. Ich does not thrive in consistently warm water & most folks with an outbreak keep adjusting temp too soon and it is that fluctuation I believe that can help the ich return - the life cycle of this parasite is, after all, two weeks so treatment should be at least three weeks with Korden's herbal formula (it can take up to 5 weeks for some infections).

And, yes, it does also help that I my stock is healthy and that I keep my tanks heavily filtrated and I do water changes regularly....that, along with the consistent warm temps keeps ich at bay IME. I have not had a single outbreak since keeping my tank temps steady at 80 degrees. As to what brought my ich infestation to the fore IMO was stress to my clown loaches during a move from one tank to another - I was told a long time ago that ich, as a parasite, is nearly always dormantly present in the water column and stress can be one of the triggers to bring it out.

Any new fish are now always given a very light dose of the herbal med while in their bag acclimating - probably doesn't amount to much, but makes me feel better LOL. I also never add the bag water to my tanks; better safe than sorry & no, I don't quarantine my new fish - my LFS does a very good job of this with fish that it suspects might be infected & I seldom buy fish that are new arrivals.

This was a very good thread - hope it helps Nu-Nu the Eel :)

Clare said:
Well, I completely agree and understand that the med is what is predominately responsible for killing the ich in my tank but I believe that keeping the temp stable @ at least 80 degrees after the ich is cured is what helps keep new outbreaks from starting. Ich does not thrive in consistently warm water & most folks with an outbreak keep adjusting temp too soon and it is that fluctuation I believe that can help the ich return - the life cycle of this parasite is, after all, two weeks so treatment should be at least three weeks with Korden's herbal formula (it can take up to 5 weeks for some infections).

And, yes, it does also help that I my stock is healthy and that I keep my tanks heavily filtrated and I do water changes regularly....that, along with the consistent warm temps keeps ich at bay IME. I have not had a single outbreak since keeping my tank temps steady at 80 degrees. As to what brought my ich infestation to the fore IMO was stress to my clown loaches during a move from one tank to another - I was told a long time ago that ich, as a parasite, is nearly always dormantly present in the water column and stress can be one of the triggers to bring it out.

Any new fish are now always given a very light dose of the herbal med while in their bag acclimating - probably doesn't amount to much, but makes me feel better LOL. I also never add the bag water to my tanks; better safe than sorry & no, I don't quarantine my new fish - my LFS does a very good job of this with fish that it suspects might be infected & I seldom buy fish that are new arrivals.

This was a very good thread - hope it helps Nu-Nu the Eel :)

Thank you for all the help! I want to pick up that medecine soon! Heading home to see how nu nu is doing :) fingers crossed!

Seems like it should be OK to use: "Ich-Attack is safe for use in all kinds of aquariums and ornamental ponds, as well as on scaleless fishes (such as loaches, elephant noses, electric eels, knife fishes and catfishes), coral reef fishes, young fish and fry, reef aquariums, aquatic plants, aquatic invertebrates (such as snails, crustaceans, corals and sea anemones), amphibians and aquatic reptiles." From Kordon LLC - Kordon - Ich Attack.

Good luck, I hope your fish and Eel get better soon. :D

That's the one I used. I also added salt and raised temp too. Only dosed with salt once.

librarygirl said:
Seems like it should be OK to use: "Ich-Attack is safe for use in all kinds of aquariums and ornamental ponds, as well as on scaleless fishes (such as loaches, elephant noses, electric eels, knife fishes and catfishes), coral reef fishes, young fish and fry, reef aquariums, aquatic plants, aquatic invertebrates (such as snails, crustaceans, corals and sea anemones), amphibians and aquatic reptiles." From Kordon LLC - Kordon - Ich Attack.

Good luck, I hope your fish and Eel get better soon. :D

Thanks so much! I am relieved to know i bought the right one :)

Oops, I spoke too soon. Sorry, that might be the same one Clare was talking about. Apologies. Anyway, yeah, it should be ok. I hope your fishies get better!

absolutangel04 said:
Oops, I spoke too soon. Sorry, that might be the same one Clare was talking about. Apologies. Anyway, yeah, it should be ok. I hope your fishies get better!

Thanks!! :)

I took out the filter and put the medecine in! 1 tbs per 10 gallons! Should i put the filter in water??

Back
Top Bottom