EGGS! - EBJD Spawning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zapero

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey all,

I noticed today that 2 of my 6 EBJD were lip locking. As I examined further I noticed a bunch of eggs. I know they will most likely not produce fry that live, but do I need to rehome my other smaller EBJD's into another tank?

I have read that the male will kill other fish in the tank... I have another 75 gallon tank that is ready to go for the other 4. Should I move them to that so they dont die?

How do I seed/instant cycle my 75 gallon so that I can move my other 4 EBJD.. I just dont want to loose them...

hey all,

I noticed today that 2 of my 6 EBJD were lip locking. As I examined further I noticed a bunch of eggs. I know they will most likely not produce fry that live, but do I need to rehome my other smaller EBJD's into another tank?

I have read that the male will kill other fish in the tank... I have another 75 gallon tank that is ready to go for the other 4. Should I move them to that so they dont die?

How do I seed/instant cycle my 75 gallon so that I can move my other 4 EBJD.. I just dont want to loose them...

Anytime you have other fish in a tank of breeding fish, they are in jeopardy of being killed, if you want to guarantee their survival, they should be moved to a seperate tank or a divider should be put into their tank.
As for quickly cycling the other tank, just take some of the filter media and put it in the filter of the other tank. This is a seeding. The bio load in the original tank will be reduced by the elimiation of the other fish so it shouldn't be a thing. Just keep an eye on the ammonia level and do water changes if it should start to rise. In an established aquarium, the nitrifying bacteria grow rapidly.
In the new tank, you'll want to keep your eye on the ammonia level as well. Reduce (don't eliminate)the amount of food you normally feed for about a week keeping an eye on your ammonia level. Again, if it should rise to a near toxic level, start doing water changes to give the bacteria a chance to catch up to the load.

Hope this helps...(y)

Back
Top Bottom