Eheim 2028 or 2229 Wet/Dry Filter for 125 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rogerrabbit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering what would be best for filters. The 2028 canister or the 2229 Wet/Dry filter?? This is going on a 125 gal tank. Two LFS told me 2 different stories. Thought I would run it be you guys/gals to get you opinion.

What would the best filtration be out of the two??

I will probably be putting a Bio-wheel on the back, maybe 2 if it really needs it.

The tank will have cichlids in it.

Thanks, Roger

Both are very good canister filters and Eheim has a good reputation.
I personally would go with the 2229, I've been eyeing this filter for when I get my 100 - 125 gal.
This is a great wet-dry filter and will provide excellent biological filtration, better than the 2028 IMO.
There are IMO only two pro's-n-cons between the two, as the 2028 seems to have better chemical filtration capabilities if needed and the 2229 better biological, while both do a great job at mechanical filtration.
I believe in multiple filters and I would go with the 2229 and let my two AC500 HOB power filters (modified with bio-wheels 8O ) take up the slack as I can fill them with whatever filtration media (chemical) I could possibly need :D .

Do shop around for your 2229, I found'em for as low as $200. on E-bay, brand spanking new, with shipping only $15. its a sweet deal.
Fosters and Smith was less exspensive than Big-al's but i didn't compare shipping cost.... Shop, shop, shop.........

Just want to add...
You would not need Bio-Wheeels with the 2229, its biological capability is fantastic! A large HOB power filter or smaller canister would suffice for all additional filtration needs IMO.

Thanks, I found a 2229 for 215$ at one site, can't remember but its easy to find. What power filter would you recommend? I have a Penquin 330 on my 29 gal, I have cichlids juives in there right now. Thought for the price I could go wrong with the extra filtration.

Back
Top Bottom