Emerald76's 30 gal High Tech Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it giant baby tears in the middle I have some myself? Not the easiest plant to root itself often find a stem floating. You should get some nice pink tips on it with the lights and co2.

It's baby tears, yeah. It is normal sized just leggy from being in low light in store. I think the left looks a lot better than the right. I need to trim and replant, I used my tweezers to put them in and they seem ok.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I want to add Anubias nana petite on the wood with maybe riccia and flame or Christmas moss, plus some more carpeting and mitt round stuff, a bunch more crypts probably.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Get it planted full and fast.. algae is going to be gunning for real estate soon enough. When I started my last high tech up I threw some fast growing ludwiga repens in there to suck up nutrients.. if you have any hornwort or ludwiga throw it on in until your plants take hold..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lemon Bacopa (Bacopa caroliniana) and related Bacopa species are fast growing stem plants that will fill up that back wall. If you can get them already established (trimmings) then great. Else, some Petsmart stores offer a nice variety of plants in the TopFin gel packs. Look for the square cellophane cartons, not the tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll toss in some anarchis for a bit then. I do like the petsmart packs but they gave me dwarf baby tears in a star repens pack.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I'll toss in some anarchis for a bit then. I do like the petsmart packs but they gave me dwarf baby tears in a star repens pack.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

That's not DBT in there. It is star repens. The tissue culture growth has tiny leaves. It will eventually grow full size leaves.
Go to post #74 in this thread: FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

It looked identical to my new DBT, but it stank and was super unhealthy

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Weird. I don't recall any gel pack I got having an odor. I do remember seeing some of them dried out and brown though.
I needed to use lots of toothpicks to keep this stuff in place. Until it got bigger and grew roots.

After a day in the tank the leaves all fell off

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I threw some fast growing ludwiga repens in there to suck up nutrients.. if you have any hornwort or ludwiga throw it on in until your plants take hold..

Wow somebody else suggests this a lot....... LOL

Anyway, seriously OP your going to have to plant heavy in this, otherwise your going to have pretty severe algae problems. Also blue/greenish on your DC will not be sufficient for this lighting level. Heed brooksters advice and remove a couple of tubes. Your plants will grow way too fast and it's not going to be healthy growth until changes are made

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

After a day in the tank the leaves all fell off

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Tissue culture plants, just like plants grown emersed, will go through some sort of transition to submerged form.
The star repens may not have been in the best of health to begin with. You mentioned the package "stank".

Wow somebody else suggests this a lot....... LOL

Anyway, seriously OP your going to have to plant heavy in this, otherwise your going to have pretty severe algae problems. Also blue/greenish on your DC will not be sufficient for this lighting level. Heed brooksters advice and remove a couple of tubes. Your plants will grow way too fast and it's not going to be healthy growth until changes are made

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I got the CO2 running correctly, it is at almost yellow after 2 hrs on. The tank has a ton of stuff in it, plus I dumped some anarchis in. The tubes don't really remove but I can run it at only 2 instead of 4- which as I said is what I am running. I also dose 5 ml of leaf zone a day (waiting for fert order to come in)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Those tubes had better remove:/ leaf zone will not cut it.. 10 mL of flourish comp and leaf zone daily or bust..

Something must be going well. I have VERY VERY minimal algae, only where my scraper won't reach.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

..... Hey! So I have algae. (Shh don't tell brookster) fine. Whatever. I'm cool. (HELP ME!)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I heard that!!!!

Pictures lil buddy:p let's see how it's going!

Back
Top Bottom