Emergency Help Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byrdman81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two days ago or tank got busted and went everywhere, we had to set up a new tank right away for our fish. They arent doing very well at all they just started swimming upside down on the bottom and aren't really swimming much at all. I will include pics. I know the salt level is fine we dont have anyother test strips as this was an emergency and we were not prepared. Please give any advice quick as you can on what to do.

Thanks

When you say it went everywhere, do you mean a side busted out and the fish hit the floor? How did you set up the new tank? Just added everything from your old tank with fresh water?

I can't get your links to work. The only thing I can think of is the stress of the event may have been to much for them. Also, with using new water and no test kits to be sure the ph and everything is the same, they may be a bit shocked.

Wow, that's so sad. I hope they are just really stressed and come around for you. I don't know what to suggest to help them other than time. Hopefully someone else will be along with some other suggestions. :(

Today they were swiming kinda slow and seemed to be distant not themselves, after dinner checked em out and they are upside down. I really hope someone can tell me what to do. I've had them for over a year now just these two in the tank and have really grown attached. I'm stressing myself

I know this is little help, but keep the lights off, let them settle some. Also, with that big of a change in water, you would be doing well to test the ph.

I have heard of instances where clove oil is used to somewhat sedate them, but I would hesitate to offer that advice as I have no clue as to the doseage. This is sometimes done to get them over a stressful event. Kind of like a tranquilizer.

I would just try to make sure the parameters are as close to what they were before and hope for the best.

Thank you for the advise I shut off the tank light and the room lights just to let them settle and I hope it helps they are still breathing but also still upside down.
I feel so bad cause I was throwing a ball arond the house and busted the tank.
I feel so terrible that they are like this because of my careless actions. Sorry I need to vent somehow :cry: Any other advise is most welcome and if you figure out the dosage of clove oil I should try please let me know.

Sorry about your troubles. It sounds to me like your fish ae stressed and you may be experiencing a new cycle in your tank. The substrate that go tossed took a large part of the biological filtration with it. Can you post your current water parameters? Ph, temp, NO2, NO3, NH3, SG. I would keep some aged SW on hand and keep doing PWC to manage parameters.

As mentioned, your new tank is probably cycling all over again. If you can't purchase the test kits, take a water sample to a decent LFS and have them do it for you. Ammonia and nitrite poisoning are not pleasant. You should be doing several large water changes daily, giving the tank heavy aeration....it only takes but a few hours for ammonia to reach toxic levels.

Back
Top Bottom