Emergency Water Question!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon Reef tank and my RODI unit got messed up (Long Story). I need to make a few gallons of water right now but the only water the store has is Crystal Geyser Alpine Spring Water. They have their water quality reports online so I kinda trust them. This is just a temporary thing. Is spring water safe?

Their Quality Report.-----> http://cg.dev.nerdydragon.com/docs/D_15_V02_YEARLY_OLANCHA_SOURCES_FP_OFFICIAL_REPORT-2014.pdf

2vdl7xt.jpg

+1 get the TDS meter out

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Over the short term I'd say it's fine. I would still use some prime on it just to play it safe.

A stable tank however can easily go a few weeks without a water change.

+1 get the TDS meter out

I may be wrong, but isn't all that info contained in the analysis report linked?

edit, yes it is
TDS=110-150

it's at the very bottom of the first page of the report

It was an emergency situation. I only needed 2 gallons of it. This will be the only time I ever use it. I went with distilled.

For future reference, this is what I do. I also have a 55G Reef tank, and I have multiple 1 gallon and 2.5 gallon containers with nothing but RO/DI water. On top of that I have a few 5 gallon containers with RO/DI water and two 7 gallon containers and two 6 gallon containers with saltwater. On top of that, I have 2 27gallon totes, 1 with RO/DI and the other with Saltwater, constantly mixing. Now, I'm not telling you to do what I do (as it may seem excessive) but it's good to have some backup water in case of a disastrous situation.

I run my tank on distilled walmart. It isn't best, but it does work. A year since my ro/di went down at least.

I'm curious, how much is it per gallon.
I use either pre-mixed saltwater from the lfs at .50 a gallon or get it from the machine at the supermarket for .25 a gallon.
So when I figure in the cost of salt, averages about $18/50gal bag, it is cheaper for me to get water at the lfs.

TDS meter will tell the tale. Most "spring water" is pretty mineralized for taste. Pure water has no taste at all. Distilled is always safe to use. And the only reason for not buying SW from the LFS is you have to tot it.

Spring water has minerals in it to make it tasty. Get purified or distiller water.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom