Emperor tetra ulcers and die off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youaremyjoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, hoping someone can help out. I've had this happen on new acquisitions of Emperor Tetras while in quarantine, but never in an established tank.

Current set up: 65 gal tank, 12 Emperor Tetras, 4 Dwarf Gouramis, 3 South American Bumblebee catfish, 10 Julii Cory catfish, Mystery Snails, Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Sand substrate.

Water parameters: Temp 78F, pH 6.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0. FIlter Eheim 2215.

History: Our power went out during an ice storm for 24hrs. I wrapped my tanks and transferred fish to smaller established tanks and used warm water to maintain temp as best I could. Transferred back to main tank when power restored and water temp ok. Acclimated as I would new fish. A week later, the Emperor Tetras broke with ich.

I treated the ich with immediate and daily water changes of 30%, increased the temp to 85F, and added salt. I continued treatment for 14 days. Cleaned filter.

At the end of 14 days, I did a 50% water change and did my weekly water tests (all good). Everyone looked great, was eating well.

I went out of town for 5 days last week and used an automatic Eheim feeder for small amounts twice daily. Came home Monday, everybody looked great.
Yesterday morning I noticed one of the ET's had a red ulcerated lesion on her side. I pulled her out and put her in my established 5 gal Fluval Spec V hospital tank. That afternoon, another female had a lesion. I pulled her out as well. I added salt and kanamycin to their tank (no charcoal). This morning there were 4 dead ETs, and 3 more had lesions. I pulled everyone out and added them to the hospital tank.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?? It's only the Emperors that are affected. Like I mentioned earlier, I've had this happen with new fish when shipped to me. Usually appears within 12-24hrs of arrival and they die rapidly.

Thanks in advance....

will try to get some good pics

Jo

Well it sounds to me like you know what you are doing. Tank temp instability seems to have stressed them to me.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sigh.... I just wanted to see if I was missing anything. These guys seem to be pretty fragile/sensitive to any changes, but I love them.

Jo

Thanks for the quick reply. Sigh.... I just wanted to see if I was missing anything. These guys seem to be pretty fragile/sensitive to any changes, but I love them.

Jo

That matches my experience with cardinal and neon tetras. Lovely fish but I've given up. The tank isn't suited to them.

It makes sense that the bacterial infection just goes through the school first with fish in close contact. If the kanaplax and salt don't work, you could combine furan 2 and kanaplax.

Edit - yeah, got to keep the tanks stable to fight off the infection as well.

Back
Top Bottom