Emprior (Bio-Wheel) vs. AquaClear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishylittlenemo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok everyone I need your opinion on this one. I've done some research on these 2 types of power filters and I'm not sure which one I'd like to invest in yet. So I want your opinion which one is best to invest in. So which one is it you's think....Emprior or AquaClear? Any opinions are gonna be great to help me figure out which one I want to get. So load up this thread if need be lol. Thank you's soo much. :)

I like Aqua Clear because there's more room in the media area for customizing filtration. The Emperor is a good HOB, but even with the extra cartridge(s), there's still a lack of room if you need a denitrate pouch or peat or poly filter, extra this or extra that.

I use both Emperors and Aquaclears and as far as HOBs go they are the best. If noise is a concern, I can tell you that the Aquaclears are definitely more quiet. TCTfish is right about the Aquaclear being more customizable. I always just ditch the carbon bag and run them with 2 sponges stacked on top of each other with the bag of ceramic rings on top. The Emperors are not as customizable, but they do come with an extra media basket (1 for the 280, 2 for the 400) that I always just put filter floss in. The Biowheel is nice IMO, but it will be more expensive in the long run to use an Emperor because of the filter cartridges you have to keep replacing. The Aquaclears don't use cartridges at all, just the sponge blocks, so you can just rinse out the sponges over and over again (in tankwater ONLY) until they start to break down. I have some that have had the same sponges for a couple of years now. Plus you can get the filter itself cheaper if you choose the Aquaclear, but like I said you can't go wrong either way. What size tank do you have, and what specific models are you looking at?

I am not saying much other than what has been said above, but I recommend the AC.

I had an Emperor 170 (now called 200) die on me after only a couple years of normal use. It was a good filter, but the flow reduced to just a trickle. That was with regular cleanings and everything, I take very good care of my equipment. I had it in my room, and now that it's been replaced with a canister filter, I realize how incredibly loud it was. I'm hearing things at night in my room that I've never heard in the 2 years I've lived here!! haha.

Also like other's said, in the emperor you have the carbon bags that you need to replace, where as the AC's just use sponges. The biowheel from the emperor is nice, but IMO in the end it just adds noise. They don't even spin anymore after a couple months of use (IME at least) and are expensive to replace. Why waste all that when you can just have the sponges?

:)

im with the aquaclear seeing as i have one. there really quiet and customizable and cheaper in the long run. im running it with a sponge ammonia remover and the ceramic rings on a 10 g. the water is crystal clear and the replacments only cost 2 to 5 dollars max.

Thanks alot everyone. I think I might go with the Aqua-Clear for sure now. Oh yeah "severum mama" I have a 29 gallon tank. Again thank you everyone, you's are the best. :)

Oh nice, I used the Aquaclear 70 (300 gph) on my 29 gallon until I upgraded to an XP2. The cheapest way to buy is to order online, but if you're like me and you have no patience, the Petsmart where I live will match their own internet prices if you take in a printout of the item. The online prices are almost always cheaper than in the store, so it may be worth checking out.

I have a brand new AC 70 still in the box I would be willing to part with for cheap! It has never been used. All Glass Aquarium Company sent me a new one when I told them that the one that came with my 55 gal tank kit was missing to bio ceramic rings.....well, the one they sent was missing them too, so I didn't even take it out of the box. Give me a PM if you would interested in purchasing it for way cheaper than anywhere else.....all you need to buy are the ceramic rings and I saw some at my Petsmart the other day for $3, I think.

Back
Top Bottom