Enticing new Lion and Snowflake to eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynxpilot

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recommendations for the best live food to get a new antennata lion and snowflake moray to start feeding?

Just got them a couple days ago. They both seem quite healthy. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what they'd like to start on and how to administer it. For example, if I buy live adult brine shrimp, it doesn't make sense to buy just a few. Can I dump a whole bag full of a few hundred in the DT and let the predators sort them out whenever?

They will not eat brine shrimp nor is it worth their nutrition nor your time to entice them with it. Gutload live ghost shrimp and feed that out until they can be weaned over to prepared foods such as marine fish flesh, silversides, crab, shrimp, squid, etc.

As far as the snowflake just a piece of shrimp from the grocery store will work. That`s what I fed mine.

img_1051256_0_02645ddd82f705be17c64ed5cebad8be.jpg

I have started my lionfish on black mollies that I have raised in saltwater, until I got the lionfish to eat silversides or other food like food sticks

When I had my snowflake, I would feed him krill for a while then switch to squid. He seemed to have more of a taste for the squid.

Thanks for the responses.

The snowflake has been eating very well. We've been giving him krill for now. I'll try the squid thing too.

As for the lion (antennata), he just hangs around the caves all day long and only comes out at night. I tried goldfish when we first got him, but they croaked before he had a chance to even see them. Guess I'll try mollies and ghost shrimp. I just don't know when he'll ever come out to feed. Would it be safe to assume that he'll come out when he's hungry enough? I'd hate for him to starve.

I`ve heard you dont want to feed goldfish to your lion fish. I cant seem to remember why. Maybe someone else can help me out.

snowflake is still doing great. We feed him krill and squid meat and he seems quite content. The antennata lion, however, is still just hanging out in the crevices. I bought some mollies, but they didn't last a day in the saltwater. Lion is still alive though, so he's getting by on something. I'd still like to know what a good starter is for him.

I had a snow flake eal and he loved krill, I used to put it on a kabob stick and he would take the krill right off of that (great show too!). As for lion, you can feed him either live feeder gold fish or frozen silver sides.

Back
Top Bottom