equipment check

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can some one look over the list of equipment i have bought and let me know if it all checks out for my setup and give some advice. What else i will need

62gal aquarium
55ga sump 3 dividers:
div1 dioballs, div2heaters, ect and div3 return pump.
prizm skimmer
Fluidized bed.
2" coral sand 70lbs of live rock.

will i need a canaster filter the one i have inmind is renaXp3.

stock a few corals inverts and fish

Don't use the bio balls. You don't need the fluidized bed filter. Spend that money on more LR (another 40# or so). You may want a couple small powerheads for circulation. You need some lights. The ones that come with tanks are woefully inadequate. Expect to spend $200-300 on them.

As far as the sand bed goes, unless you are going to have sand sifting inverts, you can either lower the sand to 1" or so or increase to a DSB at 4" or more which will give greater filtration value. I agree with everything that anenomeman said otherwise. Bio balls are a nitrate factory, instead utilize small pieces of LR in the sump. Sounds like you have a good setup to begin with. Keep us posted and good luck.

Being in New Jersey, you should be able to find some Southdown, Old Town, or Yard Right tropical playsand at your local Home Depot.

Southdown Tropical Playsand should be available near you at a Home Depot. It is a good, cheap sand for a DSB. You will need LR to "seed" the sand or get a couple cups LS from a fellow reefer's DSB. There's got to be 1000's of reefers in NJ.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom