Equipment Suggestions For A 125g PLEASE.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all I am going to upgrade my skimmer and pumps and I want to know your thoughts on what would be a good at a reasonable price for my tank. I like overkill, but I have limited funds for this project.

If this was your tank, and you had a LIMITED amount of funds to get something good and not over do it, what would you do?

1. Skimmer?

2. Skimmer Pump?

3. Return Pump to tank?

4. Water Movement In Tank? (NO TUNZE $$$$)

5. Other euipment? (Dosers, Media Chambers, ect...)

It is a 125g reef with a 30g sump, and a 20g fuge.

Thanks alot! Please help me here!

PS. I want a number of people to chime in here and give me their opinion. And please be specific.

how about nameing off the equpment your upgrading from (like the name brand and model's of your skimmer and pumps) so we might know what would be an upgrade.. :D

your welcome.. but let me see if I can give you some suggestions first.. :p

Im giving MHO as it comes to mind.. off your list..

1. If your running a old ventrui style you might think about moving up to a needlewheel.. If your running a big airstone style skimmer they have new air pumps and stones I would suggest upgrading to rather then replacing the skimmer (I think there is new promise with this type of skimming that isnt being adopted widely yet).

If your running a skimmer thats rated for a tank less then near twice the size of yours then I could think of two options..
an outright upgrade or.. If your skimmer's outflow can be plumbed getting another skimmer that can be plumed to the intake could be used in series to save you some bucks on the upgrade and give near same performance as a larger skimmer..

2. skimmer pump makes me think of ventrui or needlewheel.. the need for a bigger pump on the skimmer would be a matter of design.. if your current skimmer does not have enough internal volume for the larger pump then it will likely force it to skim too wet for most peoples likeing..

3. your likey using a Mag pump for this job and unless your intrested in going with a deal on ebay on a good used external (Ikwais ?sp? go for great prices yet need sterilized) your not likely going to do much better with a new purchase without a pretty hefty investment (at least in my book)

4. seems the OM squirt would be the best idea Ive seen for water movement thats reasonable.. http://www.oceansmotions.com/
the price of the OM squirt is $125.00 not exactly cheap but users say it holds up like a little tank.. I like that quality in equipment.. :p
this would go with a closed loop of course.. and I favor that over in tank pumps..

5. Unless I had some chemical warfare going on in my tank I would tend to say that chemical filtration for me would be out.. I wouldnt use it unless there was a bad emergancy then I would likely tie in one of my old canister filters into the main line (closed loop or return from sump) and fill it up.. you can also use it more passivly in the sump in bags so you kinda have a chemical media chamber :p..
as far as doesing goes that would depend on what you want to dose.. if you have a fair amount of SPS then kalawaster/pickeling lime or what have you, depending on uptake vs. your pwc's, might be on your list, Im pretty sure melv's has a DIY for that.. but if your wanting to dose something else???? Im not sure I would dig too much of that going on either.. that would depend on how often and how much you change your water (how closed is your system I guess would be a good question)

I keep hearing dont add what you cant test for.. check out this link.. lol
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_test_kits_salifert.asp?CartId=
so.. anything on that list is game.. to dose? (assuming its needed ellement)

these are just some of my ideas.. if you would like some coments on any of them just ask (I have this thread flaged, I dont do that, I wanted to help the rev man out!! :p )

I was just having a thought...
Ive seen your tank when it was really going.. and with all the coarls (Im thinking about benificial to your tank peramiters corals, ie simbiotic algae corals)...
Im thinking that once you get your coarls back up and going that you will have an incredible filter durring your day light cycle in coral uptake alone..
so.. your night cycle will need to be pretty hefty if you want a good ballance..

Im thinking a bigger refugium might help alot in this case.. and possibly a bigger skimmer depending on what your wanting to lean your filtration needs against (natural vs. non-natural say) and Im thinking bigger fuge on a night cycle because the skimmer is a 24/7 filter..

I think I would go with a 55 gallon+ sump for more fuge.

if you would want to upgrade the skimmer as well.. Ive got some ideas..

I like the CLSS 220 for a ASM G3 cost/performance comaritivly but thats were CLSS's line ends.. anything bigger would be ASM IMHO..

So skimmers Im thinking CLSS 220 or if you want a step up (for futureproofing/upgrades) the ASM G4x (its close to the same price as the G4+ but with greater filtration capasity)

HTH

Skimmer would be the aquamedic turbofloater multi. It comes with an Oceanrunner pump. no need to buy one. I have 3 of these and love them.

If you are looking for an external pump, I like the little giant MDX4 or whatever the heck the id numbers are..anyway, you will see it everywhere, it is a popular pump.If you want an internal pump, someone else needs to chime in.

Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom