Ermmm Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
What size tank would be ideal for having 6 juvi Discus. Then when I get a pair I wuld want to house the pair in that tank.

What dimensions and how many gals ?

My first success in growing out juvi discus was in a 29 gallon. I purchased 5 fish at about an inch and a half diameter in size. When they reached about three and a half inches I moved them all to a 55 gallon.

The tanks contained nothing except a heater, sponge filters, and an HOB. Change 30-40% of the water daily, and feed high protein foods several times a day. You'll be amazed at the rate of growth.

When the fish pair off you can use the 29 gallon as your breeding tank for a single adult pair.

Well thats good Considering I have the 29 gall allready up and running lol 8) .
How much do discus cost (juvi's) in the UK would you think (approximate), just so I have an idea.

I would keep Discus again if I could afford them which hopefully I will be. Also what sort of decor is best, or is it just an empty tank ?

29 gallon tanks work good as do 38 gallons. Discus cost in the UK though I dont know. I would assume similar to the cost here in the U.S. - Anywhere between $50.00 to 100+ dollars depending on fish size, and color morph.

Thank you. 8)

Over here I can get some nice looking ones (juvi's) for £15.00 each.

Try looking at an local aquarium socities for auctions. I know at one local here you can get 3 juvi discus for around $25 US depending on how the auction goes.

And BrianNY, is it not good to have juvenile discus in a large tank? I have a 90 I'm playing with the idea of discus, but I take it I would have to grow them to a certain size before putting them in a larger tank? If so would a 20 be alright?TIA

Im not going to attempt to answer this quetion for Brian but he has answered it for me in the past with the reasoning why, so here it goes.. The idea behind having a growout tank for juvi. discus is the fact that juvi. discus need alot of water changes, more so then adult discus, and the smaller tank makes the water changes smaller and if for some reason they need medicated there is alot less water to maintain.. And if you start with a smaller tank you will have to move them to the larger tank sooner, proper acclimation is a key to keeping discus and maintaining the same water longer will be easier to keep them from becomming stessed.. Hope this helps

That's absolutely correct greenmagi. There is one more reason I prefer a 29g. It makes it easier for juvi discus to shoal and promotes a healthy competition for feeding. Sometimes they tend to become seperated from each other in larger tanks and have a more difficult time in finding food.

The aquarium society auction is a good place to buy juveniles dr girlfriend. As for a 20g, it's worth a try but you'll have to move the fish to larger quarters sooner. To me the 29g is ideal. :wink:

Well good news on the 29 gal, now I have had discus before but was forced to return them to my lfs because of financial issues. I understand how to keep them as I have done much research in the past. I just wanted to know there ideal set-up; because I have found so many mixed opinions. Also what is the ideal filter .... i.e. undergravel or sponge etc ..... I want to ensure that they would be happy, healthy, grow quick, and breed lol :D . I really really wanted baby baby discus. I cant find any near my area. I practiclly wanted to get quite a few at a low age and size. So I know exactly how they will / have been treated etc .....

Please reply as I am really considering Discus again. Like they say, "The king of freshwater fish"

If you're changing enough water, there is no real need for much chemical or mechanical filtration. I use 1 or 2 good size sponge filters combined with an HOB for more than adaquate bio filtration. All of that surface agitation helps keep enough O2 in the water. That's important because O2 tends to become depleted at the higher temps discus require.

Ok, Do you know any websites that deliver discus fry lol 8O . Also Would my undergravel filter system be ok ? I will also put an air stone in to keep more o2 in the water. And what about decor, any ore none ?

Your opening question Steven was what tank would be ideal. Bare bottom tanks are ideal because nothing can decay in the substrate and it's easily wiped down. This doesn't mean it's impossible to grow out discus in a tank with gravel. It just increases the risk of bacterial problems.

As far as discus fry go....I've never seen them shipped under an inch an half in size. As a rule, the younger the fish the more fragile it is.

Back
Top Bottom