Established tank from a friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the next week or two I will be receiving my co-workers established 10/20 gal tank. She has had it up for about 6 months now. I was wondering if changing the water treatments she has to the ones I use will affect the fish or tank in any way?

I would suggest you leave the lights off for the first day just to let the fish settle in. I do this every time I do a. Water change helps with the stress.

Thanks for the prompt response. Never thought about the lights. But then I usually do wc on my daughters 10gal. Right before lights out. Will painting the back of the tank or putting up a background help with this as well?

i would check the ph of her water and check the ph of your water an if they are different take some water from her place and slowly do water changes with your new water to balance the ph if they are different

i would check the ph of her water and check the ph of your water an if they are different take some water from her place and slowly do water changes with your new water to balance the ph if they are different

Didn't think about this. Will hardness be a factor as well? I will probably just have her jug up some water to use any way. Trying to think of anything else that might cause issues.

I do know that our feeding habits and schedules are way different, not sure if this will be a problem as well or if the fish will adapt pretty easily to my schedule.

It my opinion it does but there is no scientific research to prove it

I've been thinking about getting a background for my daughters 10gal. So I'll be putting one on the new tank as well. I've heard a lot of people agree with your statement and say it helps them not stress out. Plus it adds to the decor.

if you do the water changes and slowly change the water it will also take care of the hardness. backgrounds make tanks look much better imo i like the plain black but design ones are cool as well and they hide the cords that you can see in the back

Back
Top Bottom