establishing new tank - some fish make it & some don't

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haslouer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
For 4 months I"ve been trying to establish a smaller tank (20g) with some basic fish - 1 good size pleco, 1 gourami, 2 high finned tettras. It was an old tank that had a goldfish in it. Removed goldfish (donated it to someone), stirred gravel, removed most water, replaced water with tap. The fish I put in are doing ok, but I when I add new basic fish - a few tetras and platies they did not make it. The panda mollie I added with the others is doing fine (but it's a pig eater). Nitrites/nitrates & temp ok. Ph high - even when treated. What could I be doing wrong?

What are the specific readings of ammonia nitrite nitrates and ph? Do you have a heater in the tank, if so what is the temp? By good size pleco, how big? Those things produce tons of waste and probably needs a bigger tank.

don't have the number for amonia nitrite nitrate - that was done at fish store. Ph is around 8. Temp ranges from 72 to 78. Thermostat is set at 72, but it has been hot here lately. Pleco is about 5 inches. I don't understand why some fish that should all be compatible make it and some don't. BTW, I have had the pleco for about 5 years in a larger tank with the tetras.

How are you acclimating this fish? What are you treating your tab water with? I would invest in a liquid API master test kit. The LFS telling you your readings are "ok" doesn't mean they are actually are...

Also, do a little reading into what the ideal temp would be for the fish you want to keep. Then aim for somewhere in the middle. I'd say most tropicals are good around 78. I keep mine between 78-80.

I have been reading for a while. That is why I am finally here. I treat my tap water with "correct ph 7.0". It's not working, but I don't want to keep popping in the tablets and freak out the fish. I did acclimate when I introduced. Point taken-I kept tank cooler at first because goldfish and pleco can take it - now goldy is gone... I plan on getting a better test kit this weekend.

The master test kit will quickly become your best friend... lol, I'm not familiar with that product but I wouldn't worry about "correcting" you ph, most fish will adapt to ph. You need to treat your tap water with a product that will rid it from chlorine and chloramine... A lot of people on here including myself use Prime, it also detoxifies ammonia and all that good stuff to a certain extent. Try to pick up a bottle when you get your test kit. Be sure to stay away from the test strips, they can be extremely expensive and inaccurate. Make sure you get the liquid test kit, can't stress that enough.

awesome! I'll see how things go after I get a new test kit and raise the temp slightly (and continue reading). Thank you! Know doubt I will post again. My little fishies are like my new little babies...

Can you list what fish are in this tank now ? I'm suspecting it's overstocked. What's your water change schedule? Are you changing out the filter media at all or rinsing it in tap water or anything? You didn't mention a dechlorinator -- are you treating the tap water you put in the tank?

I wouldn't bother with the PH products; they can cause fluctuations which are not healthy for the fish. Whatever your natural PH is, the fish will adapt.

I agree to try to get the temp to 78.

Try to invest in a liquid test kit; it's important to know your parameters especially ammonia and nitrite which are toxic to fish.

Too many variables to tell. Like everyone else has said...get that API complete test kit ( liquid, not strips), stabilize the temp, dump the PH corrector.

And then post up on maintenance done.

There's a lot of things it could be. You need to start eliminating them, one by one, to determine what it is. But the water test is going to tell you quite a bit.

tank is not overstocked - I wish I had more fish...
Current fish are 1 panda mollie, 1 gourami, 2 high finned tetras, 1 good sized pleco.
Every weekend I drain about 5 g after stirring up gravel and refill with tap treated with a dechlorinator. In fact, time to do the 5 g draining today:)

ok, got the test kits. Nitrates are around 40 ppm (boarderline too high, right - but not too bad?). Amonia is below 0.25 ppm, but not quite 0. Temp has been a steady 78. Ph is still high, but sounds like the consensus is that Ph is not important. So overall things don't seem too bad. What's might be killing my fish?

Haslouer said:
ok, got the test kits. Nitrates are around 40 ppm (boarderline too high, right - but not too bad?). Amonia is below 0.25 ppm, but not quite 0. Temp has been a steady 78. Ph is still high, but sounds like the consensus is that Ph is not important. So overall things don't seem too bad. What's might be killing my fish?

Did you also test nitrite? That should be zero as well. It sounds pretty good, maybe do larger water changes to get nitrate down to 20 or bellow. I do 50% once or twice a week depending on the test results or appearance of the tank. When you acclimate the fish, what exactly do you do? Just float the bag? I used to do that at first but now I place the bags in a bowl, open them up and ad a bit of water from the actual tank increasing the amount of water by roughly 10% about every 10 minutes till you've doubled the amount of water in the bag. You can go ahead and put the rubber band back each time so you don't have any spills. Should take about 30-45 min and you should be okay to add them. Just fish them out with a net and add them to your tank. Never add water from the store to your tank. Maybe your LFS just has bad fish?

Back
Top Bottom