Euthanization...Hellllp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
Talloulou gave me a link to a humane ways of euthanizing a fish but I don't have any of the stuff able to peacefully kill it and I don't have the heart to decapitate the poor thing, but my neon tetra's been sick, it's weak and frail and hasn't been eating and I just don't want to see it suffer anymore the way it is. I was looking at the alcohol with water thing but my grandparents don't own vodka(I'd be afraid if they did) and mostly all they have is wine and whiskey. I don't have alkasetzer tablets either.Is there any other methods that could be found in a normal household to euthanize the fish humanely without me having to resort flushing it despite how inhumane it is...

Hmmm...I know with reptiles and amphibians we rub neosporin on their backs. (I don't see how you'd do that with a fish)

I found this link describing how to euthanize them with olive oil.

Hope this helps: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tom06.html

I'm sorry about your tetra :cry: ,
Blizzard

*sigh* I've already tried that one, that one leads me to the same problem... I dont own clove oil (I have olive oil but I dont think it's the same...), freezing is just plain wrong, and I'm not going to savagely slam my fish around til it dies >_<

People FREEZE their fish?????? They think that is HUMANE????
Holy Crap!!! 8O 8O 8O :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

@__@ this isn't solving my problem... My mom's telling me just to flush it but I know flushing can take hours or days before they die 8O

Whisky and Vodka should have the same amount of Alcohol.
The thing I got from reading those links, is that either you kill them very quickly (like say using Kitchen shears to snip his head off), or you use something to anesthetize them and put them down via freezing.... after they are knocked out.

Freezing isn't humane though, they flip out when you do it and it takes a long time to do.

This is going to sound harsh and I know it but destroy the brain and the fish is gone no suffering damp piece of paper towel wrap the fish in it and hit it with a hammer or brick to destroy the brain -Anne

^ True, but decapitation seems more efficient that smashing.

*covers mouth* ...don't.. tell me to do anything to it's head...please... *tries to keep from being sick at that imagery*

When I said for herps we rubbed neosporin on their backs, i meant to say baby orajel.
-Blizzard

If absolutely can not buy clove oil....try the alcohol method with the whiskey.

If you can't do either of those...... wrap the fish in a paper towel and take it out with a large rock. Do everything really fast and the little guy won't suffer much.

This is much more humane than flushing in my opinion. I wouldn't even consider flushing an option as the fish will just be suffering in the sewer now instead of a nice tank.

Back
Top Bottom