Euthanization...Hellllp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zezmo said:
Whisky and Vodka should have the same amount of Alcohol.

But, it would be a serious crime if that whiskey was a single malt scotch.....if its just Canadian or American, go ahead...its only drain-cleaner anyways.

gupp-arama said:
Ice water: Put a small container, big enough for th fish of course, into the freezer for awhile..until a layer of thin ice has formed on the surface. Break this...catch your fish, and submerge completely and quickly. This is instantenious, as it is the SHOCK that kills him. His heart stops..he does not even feel the cold water, he dies within a sec. or two..most times I dont even see a twitch form the fish I have done this to, they just spasm into a death position, with their back curced like a "u". No pain, I promise.

Even more quick if you use salt-water chilled to the point of freezing, as it freezes at a much lower temperature.......now liquid nitrogen... :wink:

Mindy - This is my post from page 3.

Jchillin said:
Freezing is pretty simple and it is humane. You first place the fish in ice water. This will stun the fish making it unconscious. Then you freeze. The ice water is immediate.

I know this is tough for you but no method is easy. :(

Toirtis said:
Blizzard said:
When I said for herps we rubbed neosporin on their backs, i meant to say baby orajel.
-Blizzard

And aside from localised anæsthesia, that would acconplish what?

It numbs them, and they die a painless death. It's not for fish though, it's for frogs and toads.

I think it makes their organs shut down, and it's 100% painless. "Comfortably Numb"

It's kind of funny to picture a human hugging a little ADF....Seems like that would be kinda hard... :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:

Blizzard said:
I think it makes their organs shut down, and it's 100% painless. "Comfortably Numb"

Not really, although it does poison them....chances are many that you think are dead are actually severely comatose.

The trick with the clove oil is to mix it and some water in a seperate container shake the living heck out of it and then slowly add it into the container the fish is in. Very slowly, or they will freak.
For large fish I prefer the clove oil or there is an anesthetic called Finquel and it will put them righ to sleep and to euthanize just leave them in there long enough for gill functions to cease. After using either ones of those put them in the freezer, just incase they arent completely dead. This makes disposal easier too.
I dont have the heart or the gall to cut off the head of a live fish, especially a large one; all that I could see happening is the fish flopping off and the knife just like half cutting off his head....ugh

http://www.pondrx.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=4&cat=1&page=1
And if you cant find clove oil in your area....
http://www.pondrx.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=3&cat=1&page=2

I hear ya. Like all things in this hooby, its a trial of errors and you learn as you go. Sorry you had to put your fish down, but at least you have some experience so if you ever have to do it again, you'll be a little more confident and know what to expect.

Yeah, it doesn't bother me really to watch them die it's just that fact I have to do it >_<

Back
Top Bottom