Euthanization of my Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello Forum, I don't know if this is the right section of the forum, but I think it is.

I have come to the following conclusions about my platy-

-She has a wierd, unseen form of shimmy
-She is sick with an unknown illness

Or, what I think is most likely, she has broken her spine.

I am going to do the vodka or the ice method. I think there is Grey Goose in the freezer, will it work? Will whiskey? My dad keeps a flask in the cabinet, he let me smell it once. I choked. Would that be enough?

And about the ice-(I have never had to euthanize a fish before...) can I take a small, plastic cup and freeze it so that if I place my finger inside, the ice parts open? As in, not completely frozen?

And I'm really scared that my fish will suddenly start flopping around one minute later in both scenarios....

Quiet

I would not use liquor, it's not necessarily a fast method at all. The ice water method works better, just add some salt to the water cup and it will lower the freezing point. I normally just take a big bowl and fill it with salted water and ice, let it turn into kind of a slurry and then drop the fish in. Leave the fish in there for 10-15 minutes before removing.

I tried alchohol once and it didnt work very well. So i would do water. Liquors for drinking

Back
Top Bottom