Evans 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evansimp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys! I just cleaned out my 40 gallon tank that used to be freshwater and now I'm going to convert it into a reef tank. It's going to be a slow start, so bear with me. I don't have all the details planned for now, and any help would be greatly appreciated. I pretty sure I'm going to go with a sump and I'm going to get my tank drilled locally. Im going to use the 120 W LEDS over my current tank, and I have no idea what to do about the skimmer and all! This is where Im going to need a lot of help. Thank you everyone in advance, I couldn't do this without your help.

40 Gallon as of today:

My Current 20 gallon nano:

I've heard good and bad about it, but I've got an In-Tank skimmer. Are you planning on using a sump or HOB skimmer?

Think im going with a sump. Going to get tank drilled today! Going to get 3 holes drilled. Gonna work on a sump today as well.

Should I make the Overflow in the middle, or on the right side of my tank? Anyone have any experience with this?

Don't think it matters much.

Check out BRStv on YouTube, they have some great videos on setting up failsafe overflows and sumps.

I would take a look at the bean animal overflow setup. If you have the time to put this together it's a gem. I just finished it on my 40B.

Following! Loved your nano build. I got my 29gal high cycling. Just need more rock and lighting system. Can't wait to see your 40 build. Will give me ideas when I'm ready to upgrade.

Got my tank and stand drilled today. Also picked up a 10 gallon tank at petco and got acrylic for overflow and sump chambers. Also painted the back of the tank black! Overall, pretty productive day. Will post pictures tomorrow! :)

I will also look into the skimmers y'all mentioned! I'm afraid of the prices associated with them though haha!

Also, my girlfriend got us Mumford and sons tickets for June!! That made my month!

Morning guys! What do you think of this skimmer? The 100

Aquarium Protein Skimmer: Marineland Pro Skimmers

I have a local guy selling one used for 50$ I like it because I think it will fit in a 10 gallon sump nicely.

For $50 you can't go wrong. That's a great deal. Better than 2/3 off. I got mine for 50% off so it was a no brainer for me as well. I still don't have enough s**t in my water to really see how mine works but in running it so far it is pulling small amounts of junk. I think you should get it and try it. If it doesn't work out you could prolly sell it for $50. :ROFLMAO:

Just got the skimmer! I hope it fits under my tank! I'm nervous that it's to tall :( oh well il just hope for the best

Hey guys, sorry for no picture update! I was really busy today with the tank and sump, will post pictures tomorrow hopefully when I get a little more done! Skimmer fits under my stand (just barely) so that's good!

Hopefully I will have my overflow siliconed in the tank tomorrow!

Night! (or morning) :)

Back
Top Bottom