Everyone's breeding????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 tanks set up in my home right now one is a 66g tall with a breeding pair of angels raising their 4th or 5th batch of eggs/fry a few kuhli loaches and a few snails. And the other is a 25g with one small angel and about 15 platys, from what I can tell 4 or 5 are pregnant and one even started birthing tonight. Okay so my questions are concerning my 66g my angels first few batches of eggs were completely unsuccessful and all of the eggs were eaten (my male took a few attempts to catch on) by the 4th batch the actually made it to the free swimming stage. At this point all of these fish + 1 more small angel were in this tank -until my larger angels became so aggressive I think they may have actually killed him :( . I really never had intentions of trying anything special to raise the angel's fry until they became free swimming and my other fish started feasting on them-I also changed my mind because we've kept angels for about 6 years and never had a breeding pair and it is pretty interesting to watch. At this point I decided to try to divide the tank....this did not work at all. The point is none survived. My husband and I decided to try a different approach we set up a 25g and just let it run. With in a week my angels had already layed more eggs. We moved all fishes out except for the parents, the loaches, and the snails. This is the most eggs layed yet and they are now about 5 days old.The fry are still attached to the slate the parents have attached them to (after moving them 3 times) but I assume they will be free swimming in the next day or 2. I estimate there are easily a few hundred babies... I have picked up some frozen brine shrimp for when their yolk sacs are all used up. And I have covered all intakes with nylon. Is there anything anyone can suggest to give them a better chance of survival?? Also would anyone have any info on breeding kuhli loaches I have something else swimming around the top of my tank and it is definitely not angels they look different and have stripes...hard to tell whether it is a baby fish or maybe even some type of worm?

Well, it sounds like you have two successful tanks, congrats! The best thing to do, is move the mom and dad into the 25 gallon you have the others in now, and use it as a breeder for when she's ready to drop. Once she has dropped, and he has fertilized, move the two back into the big tank again. Then you can do whatever with the fry.

If your really wanting to breed them. And have success with the fry move the other fish into another tank. Juicy the pair in one tank. It's best to keep the pair in the tank there used to because moving them can be stressful and delay spawning. Place a flower pot, and/or amazon sword plant (plastic or live), and/or a brown slate. Putting all items into the tank, gives them a variety of choice to lay the eggs on. It was natural for them to eat their first couple eggs. It is highly unlikely for spawning t be successful the first couple tries. It is best to KEEP the babies with the parents for a couple weeks. They supervise them and when your fry become free swimmers they may seem like there eating them, but they are really spitting them out and putting them bacon place. For more information go on YouTube and search angelfish breeding. Click jazzy's video. He's a very experience angelfish breeder and is very helpful! Hope I helped! ;)

hi i have two young pair of angelfish that have spawned 3 times now 1st lot they ate 2nd lot i raised but they all died by 7 days old as they wernt swimimng properly and they didnt look like they were eating the bbs :lilangel: . now the parents have laid a new batch and i have left the eggs with them they have laid on three flat leaves and its been a day already but ive noticed they have eaten nearly all of them off two of the leaves the male is pecking the corner of the tank and got very funny with the female when she went near him she seams very content to look after the eggs on the leaf that they havnt munched on by wafting them with her fins im confused can someone please help me with both subjects of them and the babys :eyes:

Angels will eat unhealthy eggs. There very nutritious for them and they wouldn't have made it anyway. They could also be learning to become better parents. And may continue to eat the eggs for another spawn or two. How old are they?

-Dylan

i age them at about a year old i got the male 4 weeks after my female but he seams bigger than her i have apicture of them both in my album if you would like to have a look i realy want to be able to raise them soo much im facinated by them :)

Cool! I will do that! How old are they both approximately?

-Dylan

Back
Top Bottom