everything was fine up until this week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gaz77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I am new to marine ,everything was fine up until this week. I have had my tank since end of December fish and corals doing fine in the last two weeks I have lost two shrimp 1 cleaner (no sign of it anywhere) and then yesterday I found my peppermint shrimp dead .my corals have all shrunk back on them selves and don't look happy I use a couple of fish shops and have been given different advise .water prams are sal 1.024,ph 8.0 nitrate was 40 the other day checked it today after a water change and was 30/40 nitrite 0 pos 0.25 cal 450 kh 219.09 ..any idea what his wrong.? thanks ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393169751.054884.jpg

If your phosphates are .25 ppm that's way to high too. Aim for below .03 ppm

OP what are your wc schedules and what filtration are you running on the tank? That will help us steer you in the right direction

Last edited by a moderator:
OP what are your wc schedules and what filtration are you running on the tank? That will help us steer you in the right direction
i have been doing a 10% wc every week not sure what you mean about filter system I have a aqua one 36 nano if that helps I purchased the tank from my lfs it was a display model running in the shop so it was a mature tank.in the filter compartment he had Rowa phos in filter wool and this week I put Polly filter on top of it when my nitrates got really high 40ppm.

Do you have water movement between your liverock coz I can see there is on gups. Poit of view.

i have been doing a 10% wc every week not sure what you mean about filter system I have a aqua one 36 nano if that helps I purchased the tank from my lfs it was a display model running in the shop so it was a mature tank.in the filter compartment he had Rowa phos in filter wool and this week I put Polly filter on top of it when my nitrates got really high 40ppm.

You need to be doing 20%-25% water changes each week.

Ya I'd up the wc's and if you haven't changed out your filter floss that could be trapping nitrates. You may want to run some carbon to

Think about it this way if you have 40 ppm nitrate and you do 10% wc your only down to 36ppm nitrate. One of the nice things about running a small tank is the ease of doing large % wc. If you do a 75% change it will drob down to 10 and if you do another 50 the next day or 2 it will drop to 5 and so on. Get what I mean?
Edit: when I use filter floss I change it out 2-3x a week. It's cheap and easy so no reason to let it trap detritus

Back
Top Bottom