Evil clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sand dollar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My clown is picking at my duncan coral. I have had it about a month and a half to two months and the clown never bothered it. I noticed it never opened yesterday and then saw my clown diving at it and appearing to nip at it. I have moved it twice and it keeps finding it and doing it. The duncan has been so healthy and sprouting new heads almost every other week! I don't want to lose it!! My clown has kept it closed for 2 days now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

He might be trying to host it. Sadly though theres not a whole lot you can do. Clowns are really stubborn.

My clown is picking at my duncan coral. I have had it about a month and a half to two months and the clown never bothered it. I noticed it never opened yesterday and then saw my clown diving at it and appearing to nip at it. I have moved it twice and it keeps finding it and doing it. The duncan has been so healthy and sprouting new heads almost every other week! I don't want to lose it!! My clown has kept it closed for 2 days now.

lmao welcome to my world

i know how that is way to well , my wife helped me figure it out though
if you want to place something in the tank add a decoy item on other side as you put the coral on other side
i learned this trick yesterday they were beating up my long tentical nem
pushing and shoving it all over , not giving it time to settle , now for the trick my wife came home with 2 cheap condy nems to decoy them away from the long tentical nem ,
it worked ,
now once i can get them away from the condys they will go in my other tank so i have them for the next time i need them ,
dont laugh it works wish i figured this out many corals ago
in the past my clowns killed 5 torches 3 frog spawns 2 fine grape corals and a few others
clowns need a distraction so they leave other things alone
i dont have much hair as it is now i dont need to pull it out going nuts lol

It s normal kinda. I won't try to move the Duncan. Leave it there. It will eventually get used to the clown fish. I have 2 clowns and one is hosted on a Duncan. My local LFS has a tank that contains 2 huge Duncan corals and they host 3 clown fishes if not more.

What type clown fish do you have? I have 6 ocellaris clownfish "Nemo" in my with 4 anemone and a Duncan.........no problems?

Lujp16, Thanks for the info, hope it works out. I had moved the duncan to the back corner but maybe I'll put it back out front where it had been happy.

Bribo, it's a snowflake I think.

54seaweed, I have a frogspawn and a hammer on the other side and unfortunately with only 14 gallon tank I'm running out if hiding places and room for a decoy.

Here is the guilty fish and her victim, keeps going back for more :(

View attachment 252365

Duncan is making a recovery. The clown seems to have given up on it for now. It still isn't extending as much as before but is opening more every day and has two more babies despite being closed for almost a month. :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415724686.280762.jpg

Lol, try to move the duncan somewhere else... My duncan is in a mid-high flow area (I know requirements are low waterflow), and my clowns don't like to stay in area where there's flow.

I'm starting to find out its better adding coral after dark (lights out) if it seems it just popped up overnight they seem to tend to leave it alone go figure , if they see you add it they'll just mess with it till your hair is all gone , if you do it at night the coral will have a better chance of not being messed with cause they'll think it just grew
they don't like change they have a photo memory

That's really weird. I dont keep a saltwater tank but i have freshwater and just love to learn about fish

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom