Excellent Polishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMadNucleus

Aquarium Advice Freak
All,

Just discovered a great product. Generally I am rarely suprised by filter medias but I recently decided to give a new one a try. One of my 55's houses two medium sized oscars. Oscars, as you likely know, are not the neatest of fish :) in fact, I'm quite sure that Mr. Madison from the Odd Couple got his name from them :)

Anyway, this tank always had a bit of cloudiness to it. Just enough to be noticable and impossible to get rid of with the exception of a daitom. I decided to try some Seachem Purigen. I added twice the recommended amount to an XP3 and voila - sparkling clear water. This has been consistent since I added it about 3 weeks ago. It's as if the tank is diatom'd 24/7.

http://www.seachem.com/seachemframeset.html

Go to Products then filtration, then Purigen

Highly recommended. Not cheap though, but I don't think you need much and it can be re-gen'd.

Tom

The product info says...

"Purigen™ controls ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates by removing nitrogenous waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds."

If it removes the stuff that creates ammonia, then it sounds like it will starve the nitrifying bacteria that I worked so hard create.

IMO, I think it sounds like a perpetual quick fix. I've never tried it though, so I have no first hand experience with it. I just like to keep my tank as maintanence free as possible (weekly water changes and occasional cleaning the fiber part of my filter are enough for me).

Just my opinion though...

Deli-Conker

If you are concerned about this

"controls ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates by removing nitrogenous waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds."

If it removes the stuff that creates ammonia, then it sounds like it will starve the nitrifying bacteria that I worked so hard create.

Then I guess you do not beleive in Protien skimmers as they do the same thing :)

Actually removing even a large amounts of nitorgenous wastes (the goal and sometimes result of good protien skimmers) will not starve all of the Nitrosonomas and Nitrobacter in an established aquarium. Their population reduces and based on how good the bio filter is they will quickly repopulate when there are increases in ammonia and nitrite levels.

Tom

Hey Tom..............I always like to hear about a product that someone really loves. I spend a lot of time diatoming (is that a verb?), my tanks. So if a product can save me time, I'm all for it :D .

How did you put that in your filter, this doesn't come in a bag?
I may want to try this out in my Fluval 304.

Thanks
Eric

BrianNY, Yeah I'll buy that diatoming (sounds good as a verb) :)

ReefGuy,

The large bottles come in loose form. I think the 250ml size comes in it's own bag. I place this stuff in a fine mesh bag (300 micron). It is a bit difficult to load into the bag as the stuff seems to have the consistancy of mud right out of the jar. I use more than what is recommended by the mfg (I think I used about 2 - 3 times what they suggest). The only problem about the stuff (I've been using it for about a month - got it a bit before the original post here) is that in a month it seems clogged. The good thing about it is that it can be recharged easily enough. I just re-charged it a few days ago using Chlorox and Water, then detox'd it and now letting it dry out. I'll post a follw-up if it has the same affect the second time arround.

As for the first time I loaded it into my XP3 - man I was shocked - sparkling clear water. However, the "polish" seemed to wear off toward the end of the month.

Also - I'm using this in a FW tank with some seriously messy fish - big eaters, big wasters etc. So it might last longer in one of my other tanks - my SW 125 is next as I bought 2 bottles of the stuff. :)

Tom

Back
Top Bottom