excessive algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1 LARA

Aquarium Advice Freak
I vacuum clean gravel and 50% wc and algea cleane sides of tank.
Within 4 days the gravel is dark the sides of tasnk are getting green.

I know algea will grow quicker if the tank is exsposed to sunlight. That's about the only thing I would know to stay away from. :/

its not in direct sunlight and has T5 108w lighting

What size tank is it? 54x2 T5ho is a substantial light and can cause algae issues pretty easily if left unchecked. How long do you leave your lights on for? If it's anything more than 6-8 hours then I would start by cutting down the lighting period.

Honestly, that's about right. 8:30-8:30 is a good time (sun up to sun down)...

but it could be your filtration too. There is times when I or my girlfriend forget to turn the light off and it goes a day with direct light. Never algae in my tank though. I have a 1 footer pleco that keeps my tank clean.

You don't need a HO light for your freshwater tank unless your growing any high profile plants. A florescent strip (110w) with 6,500k is perfect enough for your little fishies. Plus won't put off too much heat.

can I pull 1 of my bulbs?
Filtration, I have a cascade 300 350gph. Should I get another filter?

Well the max for that filter (I believe) is a 75gal. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it is a filter issue.

Btw, if you have fish in there, try not to do a drastic water change such as that. That's very harmful to a fish, even the 'hardy' ones. Always remember, we are the care givers of the fish.. treat them as a child and not a pet.

As far as your lighting, I don't believe that would work. You could try it, that would not harm anything.

Show us a pic if you can.

You should never remove more than 50% of your water in a month. This causes stress on the fish, and fish don't care too much about being stressed. Plus once being filled (even with water care products) you are changing all of the water parameters. Your fish will not care for this. With smaller fish, this can even lead to death very quickly.

In a nutshell!

Fish adapt to the tanks water, change it drastically, fish die. The end.

my nitrate increases every week about 80-100
I have with babies about 50 fish. About 10 are babies

Personally, I wouldn't make my children live in a tank of water. ;)
Go ahead and try taking out a light bulb. As was said, it won't hurt. Adding plants is supposed to slow the growth of algae because it uses up nutrients so they are not all available to the algae.

maybe try to use a Canister Filter?
I would think the most about your lighting not letting it stay on for more then 6-8 hours.
if you dont have some kind of algea eater one could be very usefull.

Also is your tank heavely planted or not? if lightly planted then 1.44wpg is going to be a bit much and will just allow algea to grow, you need plants to gather the sunlight themselfs.

Did you mean to say 50 fish!? Wow... That's a lot of waste man. Your problem could be in the amount waste. Fish waste is the fertilizer for algae bud. Try decreasing (not barbecuing) your fish count and that should help out drastically.

these fish breed like wildfire.
Every month more babies.

2 Green Corries
2 Albino Corries
2 Pepper Corries
5 Zebra Danios
6 Neon Tetras
7 Swordtails
4 Platties 2 micky mouse 1 sunburst 1 part pink
4 Rasboras
3 Guppies
1 Silver Mollie (Preggers)
1 Dalmatian Mollie
3 Black Mollies​

over 10 fry plattys and swordtails​

2 Green Corries

2 Albino Corries
2 Pepper Corries
5 Zebra Danios
6 Neon Tetras
7 Swordtails
4 Platties 2 micky mouse 1 sunburst 1 part pink
4 Rasboras
3 Guppies
1 Silver Mollie
1 Dalmatian Mollie
3 Black Mollies

just to let you know Mollies poop ALOT and stress the tank out in my exp they are aggresive and well let just say i had some and i took them back to the pet store and just gave them back to them

over 10 fry plattys and swordtails​

Back
Top Bottom