Experience with wild plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wyoredman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have any experience using wild aquatic plants in their aquarium?

The reason I ask, is I have a pond that has several different types of plants growing in it. I would like to plant a few in my tank, but am not sure if it is a good idea.

My first concern is that the pond is around 55* and my tank is 76*. Will the temperature difference kill the plant?

Secondly, I worry about introducing parasites, snails, etc. into my tank. Can I soak the plants from the pond in 1 part H2O2 to 4 parts tap water and kill the parasites? If so, what duration should they soak for? An hour, several hours, a day?

Finally, what have been your experiences with wild aquatic plants placed in your tank?

Thanks!

I recently took many different plants out of a pond near me and put them in my tank. I rinsed all the dirt off and soaked all the plants in 1:19 bleach solution for 2 and a half minutes. Then I rinsed all the plants off and put them in my tank. No problems with any hitchhikers at all so far and it has been 4 days. Also, all the fish remain alive and healthy.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402525061.520072.jpg
Lol I am no good at aquascaping and yes I know I need a background but any way, all the plants in there are from the lake except for the ludwigia repens, golden lloydiella, both the anubias and the java fern

Cool! That's what I'm getting at!

Hmmm, bleach instead of Peroxide? Might work for me too.

Thanks. I like the idea of using some native plants, as here in my Wyoming town, the pet store is extremely limited and I have a hard time deciding what to order on-line. I'm more a hands on, see what it looks like in person, type of guy!

Back
Top Bottom