experienced cichlid keeper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rex91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to this forum but i have kept cichlids happily and successfully for around 5 years... If anyone has questions about anything let me know and will be happy to answer... Currently i keep a 55 gallon fully stocked freshwater African cichlid tank with 8 cichlids and 1 loach which shouldn't be with cichlids but do well under the right conditions...

Welcome! Do you know much about mbuna cichlids and the species?

Yes,,, sometimes it gets confusing with the large variety of cichlids and lots can look identical...but i have a few of then in my current tank including a yellow lab,, i actually just got rid of a hornet or bumblebee cichlid to help a buddy out with starting his tank... I would hafta double check but im sure i have more.. They are from lake Malawi..

Well I made a thread on here a few days ago of all my cichlids and I was wandering if you can go to my page and go to my recent post and click on the one that says "help me ID". It would be much appreciated!

Well rr40,, i read how you are talking about ammonia rising,,, week the best way to get ammonia and nitrites and nitrates down is by water changes,, water changes are aquariums best friend trust me.. Make sure you use good water well... Also what equipment are you using and what size tank... A lot of American cichlids get very big like Oscars,,, that was my very first fish setup was Oscars...

Also what fish is it,,,, i would recommend that you make sure every fish has its own area for territory,, for example i have a lot of caves that are different sizes for different size fishes and bulks of plants... Each fish needs it's own area to help with aggression... Personally i always go with sand for the substrate... It looks really cool and natural and some fish like to user there moths as shovels and dig holes and make mounds... Really cool to watch... Fake plants would also be ideal because cichlids like to rip them up.. I have one live plant in my tank i am experimenting with hoping that mixed in with fakes it will get ignored and grow... I also read you want a ph of 7 when for a lot of cichlids is too low... I'm not sure what fish you have our are planning to get but my Africans like a high ph near 8... I keep my ph around 7.5ish because i have a clown loach I'm trying out which they say not to mix with cichlids but they are getting along fine and he is thriving. They can adapt a long as its close to there natural habitat and they are gradually introduced... Also i keep my temperature in between 75° and 80°

Thank you. i did several water changes during the first 5 weeks. This morning i added water cause the level had dropped i have a fluval c3 5 stage power filter, an air stone in a 36 gallon bow tank. not sure which kind of cichlids yet. A friend @ work has cichlids with lots of fry and is looking to give some to me as long as my tank is fully cycled. should i get a heater to help out with the bacteria?

also should i continue to use a water conditioner in the fishless tank when ever i change or replenish water.

Thank you. i did several water changes during the first 5 weeks. This morning i added water cause the level had dropped i have a fluval c3 5 stage power filter, an air stone in a 36 gallon bow tank. not sure which kind of cichlids yet. A friend @ work has cichlids with lots of fry and is looking to give some to me as long as my tank is fully cycled. should i get a heater to help out with the bacteria?

And yes a heater can help. Set for 75-80 degrees.

Hey, I have a 55 gallon cichlid tank and I just recently re-homed my Oscar because it was getting big enough where I was nervous it would eat the other cichlids. It went to a bigger and good home. Anyways, now my tank looks empty. I have 6 mbuna cichlids. I also have a pleco. I know they dont get along with many other fish but Is there any other fish I can get that is a mid tank or upper tank swimmer that might mix that I don't know about?

Yes,, the good bacteria for your bio filter needs water conditions similar to the fish,, it needs a steady temperature,, around 78 is where i keep mine...

Hey, I have a 55 gallon cichlid tank and I just recently re-homed my Oscar because it was getting big enough where I was nervous it would eat the other cichlids. It went to a bigger and good home. Anyways, now my tank looks empty. I have 6 mbuna cichlids. I also have a pleco. I know they dont get along with many other fish but Is there any other fish I can get that is a mid tank or upper tank swimmer that might mix that I don't know about?

Well i would suggest kenyi cichlid if you don't have one already,,, mine its always out being a bad boy... He has even locked jaws with bigger fish to establish his rank...lol also a hornet cichlid is always out aswell... I just got rid of mine not very long ago.... My kenyi must be my favorite a of now... He has a lot of personality and has cool bluish colors with black stripes..

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by richierich40
Yes,, the good bacteria for your bio filter needs water conditions similar to the fish,, it needs a steady temperature,, around 78 is where i keep mine...

Actually, BB grows fastest at 86F. You can adjust your temp down to 78 or whatever you want to keep it at after the tank is fully cycled and it will not hurt your bacterial colonies.

the best way to get ammonia and nitrites and nitrates down is by water changes
Not exactly, the best way to get rid of ammonia and nitrites is through oxidation by the bacteria in the biological filtration process. The best way to get rid of nitrates is through water changes.

Actually, BB grows fastest at 86F. You can adjust your temp down to 78 or whatever you want to keep it at after the tank is fully cycled and it will not hurt your bacterial colonies.

Not exactly, the best way to get rid of ammonia and nitrites is through oxidation by the bacteria in the biological filtration process. The best way to get rid of nitrates is through water changes.

I agree,,,

I agree,,,

I always treat my bb like my fish,,, that's just from the research ive found,,, but them again my tank had been established for years.. Way to hot for fish.. Although they say raising the temperature and upping salt dosage hers with ich bit never had that problem dye to water changes and good water quality

ThanksT-Rex91 for the info. At this point the ammonia is still high at 4, the PH is at 7 and no nitrites and nitrates. the temp is reading 74F. i just purchase a heater and installed it and i will just wait and see.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/starting-over-kind-of-241051-new-post.html

It's gonna be good bro,,, i would try to get that ph up aswell,, they have cichlid substrate that keeps ph high you might want to look into or buffers like chemicals.. You could jump start your bio filter with a couple things s also like I'd you have a friend with a tank,, try to get a sponge from his established tank out of his filter or ask if you could put one in there and it will collect good bacteria that you can eventuay put it in your system to seed yours... Don't ever wash your bio media too much,, use a bucket with tank water and rinse... Also (I've never tried) but i hear if you buy some super cheap fish to throw in there ( just test fish and might die) it should help jumpstart the bio filter.. I've never tried one again but have heard multiple times this works to jumpstart it... Look these methods up and try one,, the fist method is what i would try if yo got a friend with tank...

Back
Top Bottom