experienced cichlid keeper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's gonna be good bro,,, i would try to get that ph up aswell,, they have cichlid substrate that keeps ph high you might want to look into or buffers like chemicals.. You could jump start your bio filter with a couple things s also like I'd you have a friend with a tank,, try to get a sponge from his established tank out of his filter or ask if you could put one in there and it will collect good bacteria that you can eventuay put it in your system to seed yours... Don't ever wash your bio media too much,, use a bucket with tank water and rinse... Also (I've never tried) but i hear if you buy some super cheap fish to throw in there ( just test fish and might die) it should help jumpstart the bio filter.. I've never tried one again but have heard multiple times this works to jumpstart it... Look these methods up and try one,, the fist method is what i would try if yo got a friend with tank...

Personally I don't like to use chemicals to raise or lower ph. I use cichlid substrate and holey rock to raise mine. A lot of people will put crushed coral in a media bag and place this either in you filter, or in the tank. This will buffer the ph, without the constant swings from using chemicals. Remember, a steady ph is more important them a "proper" ph. Your fish can and will capture to our ph as long as its steady.

Personally I don't like to use chemicals to raise or lower ph. I use cichlid substrate and holey rock to raise mine. A lot of people will put crushed coral in a media bag and place this either in you filter, or in the tank. This will buffer the ph, without the constant swings from using chemicals. Remember, a steady ph is more important them a "proper" ph. Your fish can and will capture to our ph as long as its steady.

That last line should have read "Your fish can and will adapt to your ph as long as its steady". Auto correct messes with me at times.

That last line should have read "Your fish can and will adapt to your ph as long as its steady". Auto correct messes with me at times.

I also agree,, strongly with with keeping steady temperature and parameters... Chemicals should only be used if it is absolutely necessary... Crawdaddy you seen very smart with this... I like your posts and would like it of you kept giving advice adding with me in this advice line I'm starting with cichlids.... I'm about to dive into a reef tank very soon and try some new **** out... That will be my next project...

Well i would suggest kenyi cichlid if you don't have one already,,, mine its always out being a bad boy ... He has even locked jaws with bigger fish to establish his rank...lol also a hornet cichlid is always out aswell... I just got rid of mine not very long ago.... My kenyi must be my favorite a of now... He has a lot of personality and has cool bluish colors with black stripes..

Thanks! Ill look into them for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Ill look into them for sure!

A lot of the zebras are cool... I have a blue zebra who it's really cool,, and a red zebra... Hoping they will mate because the females are electric orange and makes blue... Also have a Pearl zebra.. They all look very cool and aren't ever really hiding... Like i said tho kenyi is great...

Thank you. i did several water changes during the first 5 weeks. This morning i added water cause the level had dropped i have a fluval c3 5 stage power filter, an air stone in a 36 gallon bow tank. not sure which kind of cichlids yet. A friend @ work has cichlids with lots of fry and is looking to give some to me as long as my tank is fully cycled. should i get a heater to help out with the bacteria?

Are you doing a fish in cycle? If not, don't perform any water changes, ammonia feeds your BB, if your doing a fish in cycle, then keep up he changes. With a fish less cycle, all you have to do is keep the water level up with conditioned water. It will take a while to get it going. If you can get some used filter media from your LFS, then that will speed the cycle up a lot.

Can I put chichlids in the same tank as beta fish since they are both rather aggressive fish?

now my nitrite and nitrate seems to be moving. the PH is now 6.5, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 1.0, and nitrate is 40. is this considered a full cycle?

Once the nitrite has come down to 0, then you are cycled. Do you have an ammonia source? What have you been using to supply ammonia to feed the bacteria?

now my nitrite and nitrate seems to be moving. the PH is now 6.5, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 1.0, and nitrate is 40. is this considered a full cycle?

Do a good size water change 50% or so and then dose your ammonia back up. If the ammonia level drops to 0 over night then you are cycled. Do another big water change to lower the nitrite/nitrate levels and then get the temp up and the tank conditioned and you are ready for fish.

You may want to start a new thread with your question so you are not high jacking.

Its rather hard to high jack a thread were the topic is "ask for advice on keeping cichlids."

Well i would suggest kenyi cichlid if you don't have one already,,, mine its always out being a bad boy... He has even locked jaws with bigger fish to establish his rank...lol also a hornet cichlid is always out aswell... I just got rid of mine not very long ago.... My kenyi must be my favorite a of now... He has a lot of personality and has cool bluish colors with black stripes..

Kenyi are extremely aggressive Mbuna and a single specimen when it matures will claim an entire tank up to 100 gallons in size and begin systematically killing all other fish in the tank. They look nice, but IMO they belong in a very large species only tank.

A lot of the zebras are cool... I have a blue zebra who it's really cool,, and a red zebra... Hoping they will mate because the females are electric orange and makes blue... Also have a Pearl zebra.. They all look very cool and aren't ever really hiding... Like i said tho kenyi is great...

Blue and Red Zebras are different species and you are creating hybrids by allowing them to interbreed. Just because the female reds are electric orange and the male blues are blue, doesn't mean the hybrids will be. You could end up with all OB hybrid offspring or some other result.

thanks Crawdaddy. I just did a test and the results reads PH 7.0, ammonia is 0, nitrite1.0, and nitrate is 10. Of lately i have been using pellets and flake food to supply the ammonia source. I removed the decayed piece of fish on Saturday. should i put another piece of fish flesh to bring up the ammonia in the tank. also the temp is 86F degrees.

Thanks Coyote251. I did a 50% water change on Saturday and those results was recorded on Sunday. It's now reads PH 7.0, ammonia is 0, nitrite1.0, and nitrate is 10. Now i'm using pellets and flake food to bring the ammonia back up. the temp is now 86F

thanks Crawdaddy. I just did a test and the results reads PH 7.0, ammonia is 0, nitrite1.0, and nitrate is 10. Of lately i have been using pellets and flake food to supply the ammonia source. I removed the decayed piece of fish on Saturday. should i put another piece of fish flesh to bring up the ammonia in the tank. also the temp is 86F degrees.

Many members here use pure ammonia to dose up their tank. If you use this, make sure you only use the pure. No scents or anything in it. I have heard that you can get it at ACE true hardware.

Many members here use pure ammonia to dose up their tank. If you use this, make sure you only use the pure. No scents or anything in it. I have heard that you can get it at ACE true hardware.

And if you decide to find and use pure ammonia don't make the same mistake I did with my first tank. I figured 33g was a substantial amount of water and that the amount of ammonia that i would need would be measured in cups. Not right, I think i used liked a cup and killed every living plant in my tank. For the 33g all i needed was 1 tablespoon to bring the ammonia level up. The overdosing may not have been god to the vegetation but the glass has never been that clean again. :lol:

thanks everyone for your input. it was useful. now I'm fully cycled. I did a test and the results reads PH 7.0, ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate is 20. I should be getting the baby cichlids this from my friend @ work. i will see it will work out. thanks again for all input.

Back
Top Bottom