Experienced cichlid keepers, I need you!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am relatively new to the larger cichlids scene, and wanted some advice from those cichlid keepers that are more experienced.
What cichlids do you all recommend to go in with this stock?:
55 Gallon:
3 angelfish (a pair and a third)
1 pair of blue acara cichlids
8 serpae tetras
1 pair of other cichlids

I was thinking gbrs, or maybe bolivians. Or perhaps firemouths. And anyone who can share their personal testimonies for any of these cichlids would be welcome. Thank you

The angels may pair up and beat on the 3rd. Dont get firemouth to aggressive for angels. Get a pair of gbr.
2 angels
2 german blue rams
1-2 blue acara (may go after tetras and nip angels)
Whatever schooling fish you want big enough to not fit in acaras mouth.

The angels may pair up and beat on the 3rd. Dont get firemouth to aggressive for angels. Get a pair of gbr.
2 angels
2 german blue rams
1-2 blue acara (may go after tetras and nip angels)
Whatever schooling fish you want big enough to not fit in acaras mouth.

My angels are supposed to be a pair but they won't spawn and I'm hoping that a third angel will be the last little push they need. And as for the acaras, if I get them young, get the tetras big, and put the tetras and angels in first, I'm hoping things will go smoothly. In my experience, cichlids that have the home team advantage tend to stand a better chance. So if the lone angel is in before the other two it should give her a chance. Do you think this might work?

Yes it may work. I dont know much about the blue acaras but they get around 6-8" if they sat at 6" i might be ok but if they get 8" you might have to rehome one.

I'm hoping to get a breeding pair, at least while they're small. I LOVE cichlid behavior, from the interactions between individuals to the full on parental care. That's why I want the pair. I really want a brood. And if worst comes to worst I'll have a 40 gallon on standby, jic. It'll be breeding platies, but they can be relocated if necessary.

I was kind of hoping for a 3rd pair of almost exclusively bottom-dwelling cichlids. But if that's not possible then I probably won't keep anything but the platies in the 40G, jic. The jewels I have in the 55 now seem almost ready to spawn, but the male is showing off to the female, who doesn't seem interested. It's only been 5 days, though. I'm gonna breed the jewels for store credit at my lfs to finance this summer project.

You could try your original setup. There may be problems there may not. But the angels and acara get kinda big. Try it out is all i have to say. If you have problems move some to the 40b. Good luck! Any more questions?

Hmmm...I got a few. What if I just moved the acara pair to the 40 when they got too big? Its a tall tank, like 24" by 32"

A pair will need at least a 36" long by 12" depth the height doesnt really matter. That tank dimension i just said would be for only the acaras and nothing else.

Well darn. I suppose I could put the angel pair with 2 angels in the 55 until they pair and have the acaras as juveniles until they grow up. And I haven't even taken into consideration how difficult it might be to pair the acaras. Ugh. And I'll probably have to have two other angels instead of one to spread the potential beating if it only enhances their pair bond.

You could do this:

2 angels
2 acaras
4 silver dollars

The angels and acaras would defend there spawn site from the silver dollars and eachother.
You will most likely get bickering between the angels and acaras every once in a while.

Ya. But you only need them for a couple of months then rehome them. Then you will have a bonded angel and acara pair if it works out.

Alright. Well that sounds like the best bet. And if I wanted amazon swords in with the silver dollars, would it work?

I'd do the angels and scrap the acara. (Or vice versa) They can be a bit tight for 55 if full grown BUT if you plan to upgrade tank then your be ok with them. Mine grew really slow. If not then I'd skip acara and do the gbr's and some cool tetra/barbs. I like and want some denisons barbs but they get a lil big. If gou didn't do acara i think you could get a school. The serpae are nice and they stay small don't they? Decisions decisions.... Good luck!

Im barely able to help you with these ones haha. Sorry. Thats probably about as much help as i can give. Im more experienced with bigger more aggressive cichlids. But good luck anyway! Like eric said you should go one way or the other but if you will upgrade later then do it now then upgrade when they get bigger.

I'd do the angels and scrap the acara. (Or vice versa) They can be a bit tight for 55 if full grown BUT if you plan to upgrade tank then your be ok with them. Mine grew really slow. If not then I'd skip acara and do the gbr's and some cool tetra/barbs. I like and want some denisons barbs but they get a lil big. If gou didn't do acara i think you could get a school. The serpae are nice and they stay small don't they? Decisions decisions.... Good luck!

I was worried about that. :) I was looking forward to the acaras as a change in scenery from the angels. But I suppose that may be too much. I have neither the space nor the resources to upgrade, so I guess I'll drop the acaras, as I am dead set on breeding angels. I'll wait for some other opinions, but thanks for your advice.

AND sometimes part of the fun is the trial and error and the fun and stress that comes with it!! You seem to have a pretty good plan and here's my final thought. At least around here gbr and Bolivians are pricey so I'd go with acara trio an prepare to move one and an angel trio. Same - moving one later and a school of something! Denison barbs are pricey but maybe the serpae or some Congo tetras if you like a little bigger

I was worried about that. :) I was looking forward to the acaras as a change in scenery from the angels. But I suppose that may be too much. I have neither the space nor the resources to upgrade, so I guess I'll drop the acaras, as I am dead set on breeding angels. I'll wait for some other opinions, but thanks for your advice.

I think you can do the acara. They rarely get 6 inches. More like 4 from my exper and friends. Acaras and angels and a school. Or rams angels and a school!

Back
Top Bottom