extra activated charcol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pspiegel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what everyone's opinion on adding an extra pack of activated charcol to my newly started 14 gallon biocube tank was? It only has a small, eclipse brand style, slide in charcol pack and I was thinking that if I put a pouch of charcol next to it it may increase the filtration. Is there any harm in this?

I also have recently/since I did this have had a spike in all of the chemistry. I am not sure if this is just a late part of the cycling of the tank or if it has something to do with adding the charcol.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

If your tank has just been set up and is in the cycling process, there is no need for carbon at all. If however, you are cycling with live creatures, you may want to do water changes to keep the ammonia from reaching highly toxic levels. This will prolong a cycle, but possibly save the life of a fish or two.

thanks! if someone could move this to the getting started forum, that would be great! i posted it in the wrong one by accident

If you run activated carbon, you should run at least two pouches. Remove them alternately, every two weeks. This will only allow the carbon to be in the tank for about a month. It is important to remove it before it leaches or dumps out what it has absorbed like a time bomb. Another benefit or perpetually rotating the carbon is the inability of the tank to depend on it for biological filtration. By leaving the bag in too long, it will begin to house beneficial bacteria. If left long enough, there may be an ammonia or nitrite spike with it's removal.

Actually, no matter what it says on the container, AC does not have much in the way of beneficial properties after a week or so. What alot of folks do is run the carbon one week per month seeing as that is about the lifespan of it anyway.

charcol next to it it may increase the filtration. Is there any harm in this?
No harm, no real benefit either at this point.
I also have recently/since I did this have had a spike in all of the chemistry
Most likely it's just a natural part of the cycle.
Hara said:
Actually, no matter what it says on the container, AC does not have much in the way of beneficial properties after a week or so
I agree. It is best, IMO/IME, to use a small amount of GAC and change it frequently.

I agree with the rest. I haven't run it in my filter for about 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom