Fading fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graymare

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Clowns are faded, Please help! Flown in 3 weeks ago and everyone seemed to be doing well until yesterday found 1 floating 8O Of course I try counting to make sure all are present and doing well but they won't hold still long enough. ( 24 left)

Anyway the majority are growing and doing fine but a couple are absolutely fading away 8O What could be causing this loss of color??
Started out so vibrant and now the orange and black stripes are faded!! Could this possibly be some type of fungus?? Or are these babies suffering from something else? Vitamin difficiency?? Any help will be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

55gal
trates 30ppm
trites 0
ammo 0
PH 7.8
temp. 79-80F

Mare :(

They are stressed about something, what other tankmates do you have? Perhaps there is aggression from the other fish? Any signs of ich at all? 24 clown loaches will get too big for a 55 gal tank. You'll need to contract MTS and get more tanks :D

What are you feeding them? Try feeding some zucchini or cukes as a treat and they also love algae wafers.

I should have specified not all of these clowns suffer from this fading prob.
only about 4 or so are faded. But it worries me none the less.Actually, they may be getting bullied by the others as they are a little smaller. Their other roomies are a 5" plec and 1 small cory. Also, 5 zebra danios. Can't see any ich on them but they are so active and fast perhaps I'm missing something? Am feeding spirulina flakes, blood worms, and freshwater flakes by O.S.I.....Also assorted vegi's (broccoli, peas, zucchini, etc.) and occasionally assorted fruits. I realized 25 would be alot, but they were bought at auction and to get a good price I was forced to buy that amount. Have already talked to my LFS and they are excited to purchase some from me in the very near future so will raise them up for a couple of months if they don't fade-away :(
As far as MTS is concerned I'm afraid I'm already in the early stages of that particular affliction........I gaze longingly at those beautiful saltwater tanks and the amazingly gorgeous fish.........but until I can manage this tank I'll have to put those day-dreams aside for now. :wink:
Sorry this is so long, and I apprediate your quick responce, so perhaps this isn't a disease?? Any other :idea: 's

Respectfully, Deb

Sorry this is so long, and I apprediate your quick responce, so perhaps this isn't a disease??

No. Likely just stress, IMO. Keep an eye out for them, and see how soon your LFS can take them off your hands. How large are they now?

Good to hear the lfs is willing to purchase them. Glad to see that you are planning for their future. I agree for some reason they are stressed, just keep an eye on them and you could turn off the tank lights a bit more and might aleve some stress.

TIA everyone,

They average about 1 3/4 inch now, but the fading guys are closer to 1 1/4.

My tank sits facing an east window from the far side of the room so I usually don't have a light on them during the day since it isn't a planted tank, normally at night it is on for 3 or so hours then dark until 5:30 or later, (depending on if I can avoid taking my "diva" Dolly, the spoiled rotten Jack Russell/Shihtzu outside for her morning chores/rabbit chase) Thus they are not really getting alot of light but will sure take that into consideration.

All of your input is sure appreciated, don't want to have a bunch of sickness or worse yet , funerals , to contend with!!

I'm wondering too, if maybe they need to be provided with more hiding space? I've read they like to have caves or such to dwell in but didn't have the rock,or clay pots so positioned a ceramic plate in one corner and there is quite a bit of fake fauna here and there to hide in. Thinking I'd better do something about that.

You know when I first acquired this setup, it looked so big, but I have been educated thanks to everyone's advice that it isn't a sardine can and you cannot and should not overstock!!

You all are worth a million! Thanks again, deb

TIA everyone,

They average about 1 3/4 inch now, but the fading guys are closer to 1 1/4.

My tank sits facing an east window from the far side of the room so I usually don't have a light on them during the day since it isn't a planted tank, normally at night it is on for 3 or so hours then dark until 5:30 or later, (depending on if I can avoid taking my "diva" Dolly, the spoiled rotten Jack Russell/Shihtzu outside for her morning chores/rabbit chase) Thus they are not really getting alot of light but will sure take that into consideration.

All of your input is sure appreciated, don't want to have a bunch of sickness or worse yet , funerals , to contend with!!

I'm wondering too, if maybe they need to be provided with more hiding space? I've read they like to have caves or such to dwell in but didn't have the rock,or clay pots so positioned a ceramic plate in one corner and there is quite a bit of fake fauna here and there to hide in. Thinking I'd better do something about that.

You know when I first acquired this setup, it looked so big, but I have been educated thanks to everyone's advice that it isn't a sardine can and you cannot and should not overstock!!

You all are worth a million! Thanks again, deb

More hiding spots can't hurt that is for sure, it can ease stress if that is the cause. It sure doesn't sound like the fish are sick. Keep a close eye on them and see if they exhibit any signs of illness.

Back
Top Bottom