Fairly new Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ff.rice

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I have recently started a new Cichlid tank and we are really enjoying it. I was just wondering if anybody had any pointers? It's a 30 gallon tank and right now I have 4 cichlids and a rubber lipped Pleco in it... Everybody seems to be happy! I had oscars when I was younger but cichlids are new to me. I feed them floating and sinking Cichlid pellets and they seem to only like the sinking ones. The guy at the pet store suggested blood worms and I tried them..... They sank straight to the bottom and I don't think any of my fish even saw them..... Is there a better way to introduce these?!?!

Hello, I have recently started a new Cichlid tank and we are really enjoying it. I was just wondering if anybody had any pointers? It's a 30 gallon tank and right now I have 4 cichlids and a rubber lipped Pleco in it... Everybody seems to be happy! I had oscars when I was younger but cichlids are new to me. I feed them floating and sinking Cichlid pellets and they seem to only like the sinking ones. The guy at the pet store suggested blood worms and I tried them..... They sank straight to the bottom and I don't think any of my fish even saw them..... Is there a better way to introduce these?!?!

Do you know what type of cichlids you have? Maybe a few pics?

I have a electric yellow lab, a jewel... Which looks like a Dempsey to me, the other 2 idk where to even start with names..... One is a blue striped one, and the other is a purple color with yellow fins and tail..... Maybe you can tell me?!?!

Attachments

• image-2632974263.jpg
    image-2632974263.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 221
  • image-1853000721.jpg
    image-1853000721.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 228
  • image-2655602656.jpg
    image-2655602656.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 214
  • image-3453480022.jpg
    image-3453480022.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 217
  • image-1071527466.jpg
    image-1071527466.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 209
  • image-2946450681.jpg
    image-2946450681.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 205
They were frozen but I let them thaw out and then just put a few in.... I just added the yellow and the purple and yellow one tonight, and tonight was also the first time trying the worms..... I'm wondering if maybe they were just too busy getting to know each other to care?!?!

I always just throw the whole frozen cube in, they love it and if you only have a few fish they might not eat the whole thing so pull the remains out after a few mins, also try algae wafers, they're made for algae eaters but cichlids love em

Cool.... I have a 30 gallon tank, how many cichlids do you think is my max? I have a rubber lipped Pleco also do I've already got algae pellets in there too..... Now, you only do the bloodworms like once a week right?

Yeah once or twice I usually give it to them the day of or the day before my pwcs and I'm gonna say that you're pretty stocked for a 30 gal and I would start looking for at least a 55gal to move your current fish to

Don't get into a habit of feeding blood worms all the time, its not good for them. Once a month as a treat and In very small amounts won't hurt them. Much more than that it will cause bloat.

Don't get into a habit of feeding blood worms all the time, its not good for them. Once a month as a treat and In very small amounts won't hurt them. Much more than that it will cause bloat.

^^^ agreed and bloat is a nasty site. I've had a few die because if bloat.

I feed NLS Thera A and veggie flakes made by Sera but mainly NLS pellets.

I have a electric yellow lab, a jewel... Which looks like a Dempsey to me, the other 2 idk where to even start with names..... One is a blue striped one, and the other is a purple color with yellow fins and tail..... Maybe you can tell me?!?!

Blue striped is a Demasoni and purple with yellow tail and fins is a Yellow tailed Acei.
And your Jewel is definately a Jewel though a little washed out looking.

Ok.... Another question..... I thought cichlids liked a little higher PH, but the guy at the pet store said it needed to be more acidic and sold me PH down..... Is this right? Or do I need to try to get the PH back up on the higher side?

Sounds like u got some bad advice they prefer 7.5 to 8.2 I believe are the correct numbers, but remember consistency is better than adding several chemicals to try to hit the numbers right on the dot, less is always more with fish

I even asked the guy..... He really sounded like he knew what he was talking about.... Guess I need to buy a PH test kit and check it myself! Thanx for the advise!

ff.rice said:
I even asked the guy..... He really sounded like he knew what he was talking about.... Guess I need to buy a PH test kit and check it myself! Thanx for the advise!

I wouldn't mess with ph at all. Most fish can adapt and a stable ph is far better than trying to keep it higher and having it fluctuate all over.

I have African cichlids in my tank (75g) I don't mess with the pH. I don't add anything to my tank other then Prime. My pH is 7.6-7.8 pretty much hangs over those 2. My fish are fine. Most are tank bred and aren't kept in high pH waters even at the local fish stores.

Back
Top Bottom