Fancy fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long does it take for goldfish scales to grow back? My fancy has lost a few scales.
I only have two fish in my tank. I think she has scraped them on a plastic plant I have removed the plant.

I have been adding aquarium salt to the tank when I do a water change anything else I can do? She also has red in her eye which I think she has also bumped on something. I have done a water change today and have added the salt.
Her eye is much better.

My tank is cycled and ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5 and PH 7.4.

This fancy I am talking about also suffers from swim bladder problems. I have asked questions about her before she has good days and bad days with the floating today wasn't a very good day. Does anyone else have a fancy that has swim bladder problems and what do you do to help them? She is a lot better when she has sinking pellets and skinned peas. I'm going to the pet shop tomorrow to get them some blood worms.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long does it take for goldfish scales to grow back? My fancy has lost a few scales.
I only have two fish in my tank. I think she has scraped them on a plastic plant I have removed the plant.

I have been adding aquarium salt to the tank when I do a water change anything else I can do? She also has red in her eye which I think she has also bumped on something. I have done a water change today and have added the salt.
Her eye is much better.

My tank is cycled and ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5 and PH 7.4.

This fancy I am talking about also suffers from swim bladder problems. I have asked questions about her before she has good days and bad days with the floating today wasn't a very good day. Does anyone else have a fancy that has swim bladder problems and what do you do to help them? She is a lot better when she has sinking pellets and skinned peas. I'm going to the pet shop tomorrow to get them some blood worms.

Aquarium salt is counter effective for bloat. It causes fish to retain water. Epsom salt is what is needed in this case. Maybe treat the injury with melafix so the aquarium salt doesn't exasperate the bloat.

Oh wow thanks I never knew this. I will stop with the salt.
Can I treat her in the same tank as the other fish?

Oh wow thanks I never knew this. I will stop with the salt.
Can I treat her in the same tank as the other fish?

Many people don't like melafix, they think it is BS. I use it when there is an injury and put it in the main tank. You have to remove the activated carbon of your filter for it to work. Just be careful not to overdose it.

As for the epsom salt, I would only do salt baths/dips and would only treat the affected fish. Look up the best way to do an epsom salt dip to find out the appropriate ratio and length of dip.

Scales do regrow but it does take quite a bit of time. Typically, depending on the severity of the injury, it will take 1-3 months. The scales may also grow back clear/translucent giving the 'appearance' that there are still missing scales but upon close inspection, they are there.

No meds are necessary to treat a few lost scales (and most other minor injuries) other than lots and lots of healthy water and an excellent diet. :)

Back
Top Bottom