Fancy Goldfish and Pond. Not a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ParadoxOwl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so after reading the sticky here showing a large telescope eye, and after much research saying goldfishes need a larger aquarium, I decided to move some fish to my friends parents 8,000 gallon pond as well as their 800 gallon pond.

Now, this pond is cycled and the water parameters are all good, very well planted and filtered. They even have waterfalls, small ones mind you.

All was great! The fish seemed so happy! They swam faster than I've ever seen! They even got on good with the other fish.

Then the cold snap came.

The temp dropped outside to around 36 degrees and I got a text after that night saying my fish were found dead! Only my fish I gave them!

The other fish in the ponds are very small koi and they never bullied the goldies (my boyfriend set up a cam because he wants to see what a sleeping fish looks like) and they ate plenty! Some research i found says they should come inside during winter.

I guess what I'm asking is, is if they need to come in during winter, why would I risk putting them in the pond again? It seems stressful to catch the fish and move them. Plus the weather here is so unpredictable it seems. I'm just at a slight loss.

I keep my remaining goldies in two tanks. A 46 bow front and a 40 breeder, and they seem to be thriving (all except a black moor who seems to think growing is over rated). Should I just keep them in these tanks and get larger next year as they grow? I don't want to loose anymore fish. I just wanted to do what was best for them...

Its a risk that has to be considered. Fancies can survive the cold and overwinter in a pond without a problem but not all fancies can handle it. What I have found is fancies that have been outdoors since they were tiny handle the temperature changes MUCH easier than older, larger fancies that were accustomed to indoor life. Many breeders bring their fish indoors for the winter (or even heat waves in the summer) but there are also breeders that do not. My breeder leaves the majority of his fish outside year round, including some more delicate fancies (pearls). The exception being fish that start to struggle when the temperature starts to drop (bottom sitting or floating)- they come in.

The snap happened over night, and I work then and normal people sleep, so i guess nothing could have been done. The weather was a beautiful 75 degrees all week.

I have an Oranda, and I'm told they are more delicate like the pearls, so i should avoid putting them outside... unless it's summer I'm guessing?

Most my fish came from Petsmart, with one from Walmart, so they were probably kept indoors I am thinking...

Guess I should chalk this up to a learning experience?

I am very sorry this happened :(

My breeder keeps ranchus outside all winter and they are considered more delicate than orandas. I believe Rivercats mentioned she has had orandas outside in the past as well. You honestly just don't know what will happen but they are definitely happier outside in a pond in the summer months if it's possible. Not sure of this helps!

I bring mine in for the winter. I mostly just have feeder goldfish that my mom decided to buy for a water garden. Maybe they are more hardy but they are still living things so I didn't want to risk it. If you can give them a good summer outdoors then maybe you should do that and just overwinter indoors? I guess its a personal choice and different people will do different things. Juts do what feels right to you with the info you have amassed. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom