Fancy Goldfish with weird twitches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just rescued two fancy goldfish, Dennis and Colin, from a relative.

They were kept in a tiny 25L tank (Dennis was there just under a year, Colin was there a few months). They were only sporadically fed and with flakes, and had about 10-20% of their water changed per week.

They are now in a 50L interim tank (they'll soon move to a 140L tank as my other fish have outgrown it). I change 80% of their water daily, and they get sinking pellets and peas everyday.

Apart from being severely stunted, missing some scales and with a black patch on a fin, I have noticed they both have a weird twitch as they swim along. It is very sudden and jerky; it looks to be neurological, as if they have brain or nerve damage. They swim fine apart from this twitch.

Does anyone have ideas on the cause, and what I might do in addition to the current regime?

My theory is over-exposure of toxic water in their previous home, along with malnutrition.

I would welcome any thoughts.

Pic below in their short-term tank

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397550222.516518.jpg

Great job on rescuing them and it sounds like your doing a wonderful job on providing them with the best care possible! :)

Honestly, it sounds like your spot on in your diagnosis of the odd twitching and jerking. Excessive exposure to toxins and lack of sufficient oxygen will affect neurological damage (among various degrees of other damage to organ systems) in almost any creature. Fish are no exception.

The best treatment is what you are already offering-lots and lots of healthy water and nutritious diet. Hopefully, as time goes on, they will start to recover, grow and prosper! Please do not hesitate to ask questions and let us know how these little guys are doing!

Dear JLK,

Thank you for your very helpful and supportive reply.

The poor little guys are starting to settle in; Dennis is getting used to the idea of regular meal times, but Colin seems slower to realise (I think he can't see very well).

Will definitely keep you posted :)

Back
Top Bottom