Fancy Guppy Swim Bladder Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
My parents bought a few fish for me while they were out of town this past Saturday. Of course the beautiful "Tequila Sunrise" male Guppy my Mom picked out is the one that starts acting sick. He is sitting at the top of the tank, and when he does swim he inevitably floats back to the top. He seems healthy except for this issue so I was wondering if there is a remedy for this. I don't want my Mom's favorite fish to die only 5 days after it was introduced. Please help! :(

adadkins1 said:
My parents bought a few fish for me while they were out of town this past Saturday. Of course the beautiful "Tequila Sunrise" male Guppy my Mom picked out is the one that starts acting sick. He is sitting at the top of the tank, and when he does swim he inevitably floats back to the top. He seems healthy except for this issue so I was wondering if there is a remedy for this. I don't want my Mom's favorite fish to die only 5 days after it was introduced. Please help! :(

So swim bladder is commonly caused by two things. Over feeding or an infection. My suggestion is try fasting him for a few days. If overfeeding was the problems this will help him digest his food. Put him in a seperate bowl and do water changes. He should have a bowel movement. Make sure to remove it if he does so it dosent cause infection. Keep fasting even if he does because there might still be some blockage. If he dosent have a bowel movement then its a infection and i know theres meds for it but i'm not super expirianced with them so i cant really suggest anything. Hopefully that helps and its a simple problem
Edit: Also on the fourth day if you want to blanch some frozen peas and peel them and feed one to him those are also suppost to help. But dont skip fasting thats an important part.

Back
Top Bottom