Fat guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I first got my male guppy, his stomach was very small, it is now getting kinda big, like he is bloated or something?

He still swims around the tank fine and still chases his "girlfriend" but I'm just concerned because he looks a little fat?

Should I skip feed one day and see if it helps?

get him a little treadmill, and put him on a low cholesterol diet.
Seriously though, could he be impacted? Does he poop? If not, you might want to try some blanched deshelled peas at his next feeding.

Picture? It also might be a pregnant female.

I know for sure it's not a female because he has a leopard like pattern on his tail and side, and females don't had fancy designs, an sure ill post a pic.

get him a little treadmill, and put him on a low cholesterol diet.
Seriously though, could he be impacted? Does he poop? If not, you might want to try some blanched deshelled peas at his next feeding.

I wish I could just put him on a treadmill lol, and what do you mean by "could he be impacted?" And I'm not sure of he's been pooping or not, il make sure to start watching it.

Where can I get these peas?

Sorry about the crappy quality , he just doesn't sit still. Can you see the bulge in his stomach though?

image-3138687975.jpg

Are the scales raised? If so it might be dropsy.
Try fasting him for 2days, and see if it goes down. Put him in an alternative tank for 2 days and fast him to see if it goes down.

I wish I could just put him on a treadmill lol, and what do you mean by "could he be impacted?" And I'm not sure of he's been pooping or not, il make sure to start watching it.

Where can I get these peas?

If he's not pooping, he may be constipated, just microwave a few frozen peas, take the shells off, and feed them to him. I had a male platy that I thought was going to pop, someone on here suggested to try that, and boom! He was was back to normal in no time!

Are the scales raised? If so it might be dropsy.
Try fasting him for 2days, and see if it goes down. Put him in an alternative tank for 2 days and fast him to see if it goes down.

No his scales arent raised, and What does "fasting him" mean? Sorry if its a stupid question, I'm a newbie!

If he's not pooping, he may be constipated, just microwave a few frozen peas, take the shells off, and feed them to him. I had a male platy that I thought was going to pop, someone on here suggested to try that, and boom! He was was back to normal in no time!

I'll try that and see if it works, I don't have an isolation tank to put him in though so the other fish might eat it to ? I could put him in a bowl for 10-15 mins?

Fasting him = don't feed him ;)

Lol I thought that might of been what it ment lol,mi don't have an extra tank to put him in tho so I couldn't do that without not feeding the whole tank?

the nice thing about the peas, is they are not a medication, so it won't hurt, and will probably help the rest of the fish in there. I wouldn't try isolating him in a bowl if you don't have another tank to put him in.

the nice thing about the peas, is they are not a medication, so it won't hurt, and will probably help the rest of the fish in there. I wouldn't try isolating him in a bowl if you don't have another tank to put him in.

I'll put one in later tonight, but what do I do if he doesn't even try to eat it? And all the other fish get to it first?

Back
Top Bottom