Fat swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxyhasswag

Aquarium Advice Freak
For two weeks now my swordtail has been really fat normaly she is slender I've fetched peas to see if she constipated put she won't touch them

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you sure about that ? My live bearers are pregnant between 4-6 weeks before giving birth.

Try only feeding peas one day, and then fast them for 3 days. How are you feeding the peas? You should boil them in water over the stove or in the microwave for a couple minutes and then remove the outer skin and smash them on a spoon.
She could just have a lot of food in her stomach. Or she could be pregnant. Livebearers' gestation period is around a month. Not 2-4 days. That would be ridiculously fast!
If you can get a picture of her that would be helpful because we could see if she has a gravid spot. Even if you don't have a male swordtail, if she was kept with males in the same tank at the pet store they could have impregnated her. Livebearers can store sperm from one mating for many months.

Back
Top Bottom