Favorite fish For A Ten Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lemurstampeed33

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I'm starting up a new ten gallon, looking for recommendations on fish, any ideas?

Yeah, any type of nano fish such as celestial peral danios, flame tetras, neon tetras or thread fin rainbows I belive would work. Also a shrimp tank would be cool too.

I vote on the CPDs as well. I have 5 of them (for now) and they are some of the most interesting fish that I've had. I would just get these and some inverts or lower fish like pygmy cories as they're shy when around other fish but lively alone. Least killies are pretty entertaining as well. Dwarf puffers I've had good and bad with them-for me they've only liked live food, it's really sucks. CPO's are also good for a tank that size (dwarf orange crays). And I'm with cgthebeast shrimp are great as well! Dwarf rasboras (any of the smaller kinds really) are cute but they're much more timid than other fish.

Oh, and I forgot there are some dwarf cichlids, shellies, that would be a different kind of fish. There are loads of killifish that would be good as well, I've always wanted one but have never really gotten ahold of one yet!

I would just put in two CFLs in the tank. That's what I have on mine. I forget what wattage exactly, but I grow medium light plants pretty well. And there's not much algae so I'm pretty happy:). It's the cheapest way to go. I actually picked up a box of 4 for 88¢ a bit ago actually! Just get the 5700K or maybe it's 5500K (daylight) bulbs because that's the spectrum the plants grow in!

A honey gourami, a school of 10 microrasbora species, and dwarf corydoras.

Dwarf gourami won't be happy in a ten. I am with Old Scales, celestial pearl danios, Endler's livebearers, pygmy or dwarf corydoras. Another option is a single betta and a school of 5 or 6 corydoras haborsus (one of the tiny corys). That would look awesome with lots of plants.

What about one beta 5-6 celestial danios and 3 dwarf Cory cats

Personally I would not do a Betta with CPD's as the CPD's can be very shy and depending on the individual temperament of the Betta it could actually stalk and kill the much smaller CPD's.

Ok thanks, could I also put in some oto fish for the cleaning

I wouldn't suggest putting oto's in a newly set up tank. They do much better in a mature tank of at least 4 months. I would suggest nerite snails as they will do the same job as oto's. You also don't have to worry about them over populating the tank as they need brackish water in order for eggs to hatch. If you could get some of the bumble bee horned nerites they would look nice in a small tank.

I have 1 beta, 7 neon tetras and 2 otos in my 10 gal heavily planted. They all get along great and very entertaining to watch. I added the otos after tank was up only a month but I was very diligent with water changes (daily at first) to keep nitrites down until tank fully cycled.

Back
Top Bottom