Feather Duster Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BayTib13

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, my tank has been running for 2 almost 3 months now. The first rock I got was covered in a good but of coraline, a ton of aptasia, a few feather dusters here and there, and some other worms and bugs. I got the rock a day after I got my aquarium set up and filled. Since then, I've gotten rid of the aptasia(except one last one that is bein a pain to get rid of), and the little bugs died off I'm assuming as I never see em anymore. My aquarium has been being ravaged by diatoms all over my new rocks, the substrate, and the filter inlets/outlets. After doing a water change/substrate clean today, I noticed that my oldest rock is absolutely COVERED in feather dusters, but not only that, my substrate (caribsea white sand) has a good amount of them popping up here an there on it, mostly concentrated in the middle though underneath and behind a shelf I made.

My question is, is this normal for featherdusters to be taking over like this? I've read the diatoms are, so I'm not worried about them. The feather dusters though I'm not sure if they can harm anything when they're in a large enough population. As far as I know and read, they're just filter feeders. Has anyone else had FD's pop up like this?

I have one very large duster (Hawaiian) and I just put in some LR that seems to have exploded with little pink dusters. Another rock has a small red duster on it. I love the way they look and cant see how they would be a harm to the tank

I am having the same issue with a duster outbreak. Or at least I am assuming they are feather dusters. And they do look like little pineapples. Not sure what this is from.

Theyre in a white tube, and have little feathers that come out of the end and usually suck back in if I hit them with my led flashlight. Theyre whiteish-clear with a reddish dot on the tip of each "feather"

Yeah mine too. The solo one on the other side of the tank has a feather head about a 1/4 inch across and is blood red. Really cool looking!

Back
Top Bottom