feeding african clawed frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinman100863

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased 2 ACF and would like to know what would be the best foods to give them? also how many times a day or feed them every otherday? they are approx 2 1/2 inches long.

They don't seem to be picky eaters. small (small enough to swallow whole) dried krill and worms are good choices. Drop a few krill in on one day and 1 cube of frozen worms a day or two later. The important thing is to make sure they are eating and that other fish don't grab all the food before they can get it.

Are they albinio?

Ok as far as my knowledge goes, there are albino dwarf frogs and albino clawed frogs, what color is your, stores often mislabel them, albino dwarf frog or african clawed frog, when there are only 2 commen types, albino clawed frogs and African dwarf frogs. But to answer your question most of them mostly only eat bloodworms, and generally won't accept flake or pellet food. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, im not s frog expert, you probably know more than me.
No there not albinos, and what is NLS?i

NLS=New Life Spectrum.

I have never seen albino dwarf frogs.

I have never had issues getting either to take prepared foods (frozen, flakes, pellets, etc.).

I myself also never seen albino dwarf frogs. As of now my acf are eating a mixed batch of foods, mealworms, krill, bloodworms,turtle floaters, hopefully this will keep them healthy! :)

I feed mine mainly Reptomin sticks (turtle floaters). Takes them right out of my hand. Kind of cute. I haven't gotten too much into live food because the sticks are formulated for frogs and other amphibians but I know that goldfish and rosie feeders are not recommended. I feed mine feeder guppies as an occasional treat and other good bets are bloodworms and krill. I have also heard that it is bad for them to eat fish flakes but I don't know why.

On another note, they will basically "eat anything that they can stuff into their greedy little mouths and even try to eat some things they can't". I saw that on a care sheet once lol.

The important thing is to make sure they are eating and that other fish don't grab all the food before they can get it.

Trust me, if it's a real ACF {and not a dwarf} you won't have to worry about any fish eating first, they'll most likely be eaten first by the frog. I'd say that the best rule of thumb for ACFs is that they'll eat about anything that won't eat them first. lol

I feed my Albino ACF shrimp pellets, dried bloodworms and on occasion I'll pick up a couple of comet golds for a special live treat.

I also have ghost shrimp in the tank and surprisingly {to me at least} they actually seem to be able to fare/survive fairly well. I think their survival is because they are so transparent, as well as pretty quick when need be.

In my continued efforts to find other species that can coexist w/ACFs, I'm going to try a couple of Japanese Trapdoor snails for improved aqua-vironmental cleaning. I'm hoping that with their hard shell & "trapdoor" ability they'll survive. I should have them in the tank by next week.
I'll keep y'all posted.

MarkA123 said:
Ok as far as my knowledge goes, there are albino dwarf frogs and albino clawed frogs, what color is your, stores often mislabel them, albino dwarf frog or african clawed frog, when there are only 2 commen types, albino clawed frogs and African dwarf frogs. But to answer your question most of them mostly only eat bloodworms, and generally won't accept flake or pellet food. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, im not s frog expert, you probably know more than me.

There are African Clawed Frogs.

I own one, and ordered it online, not buying from a store. I got it from Grow-A-Frog. There are albino ACF, but I know African Clawed Frogs exist, and will go crazy eating anything if they know it's food.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

I have 5 afc's . They love fish , like small feeder goldfish. They'll also eat reptomin pellets, and live insects.

Back
Top Bottom