feeding my fish veggies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnaflow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I been trying to feed my fish veggies mostly just the loaches and I was wondering I ask the guy at the lfs how to feed them cucumbers becuase I Saw him doing it. He said bowl them and just stick them in. So I rea donline how to do it simple as pie. There in the tank and the fish dont even look at them.. Ideas? certian times to feed?

My eats carrots... lol j/k Um.....Maybe its not in their "habbit" to eat veggies. I would not feed them for a day or two and then add a tiny bit of veggie w. a tiny bit of food. Then slowly keep adding more veggie if you notices them eating the litle amout you put in.

Actually xIHaKIx, some fish do eat carrots. Snails imparticular. Try using a raw zuc. Clean the ouside of it with water, quarter it long ways, then hang a piece in the tank with a veg clip. Put it in the tank before lights out. I'd bet that the next morning that you will see pleco lines down it. They LOVE zuc.

Raw zucchini and cucumbers are my pleco and CAE's favorites. For the CAE, I use an elastic to hold the veggies to a rock, and the pleco gets his on a veggie clip. The CAE butts into the clip and has broken 2 of them. LOL

Great guide Menagerie. Im going to buy some vegies soon to feed to my little guys :)

Thanks, there's supposed to be pics, but I don't know where they went :roll: BTW, there are picks of zucchini being fed to my finned pigs in my gallery.

i used to blanch my zuchinni but now i just stick it in there becuase its gone so fast either way!! LOL

Last night I put in a 1/2 of a zuc into our Cichlid tank and as soon as it was put in place on the clip, the Acei's and cobalts attacked it. About 2 hours later I came back and the pleco's had done their thing, making their lines, eating out the entire zuc. So of course I took the skin out and put the other half of it in (these are small zuc's) and this morning it was also eaten out.

I'm not a chef or anything like that, but when you cook (boil, blanch, scald, etc) veggies, don't you lose some/a lot of the nutritional value? (Heard it from my wife's grandmother... who is a "First Place" health food nut. lol).

At any rate, I use raw veggies with the exception of some things. Just try different combinations. Different fish have different tastes. Sometimes fruits are also a good choice.

They do lose some nutritional value when boiling. That's part of the reason why I always use raw vegs (except for peas, they are blanched). Plus, if you cook the zuc or cucumber, the skin becomes soft. If you leave it hard, then it won't break apart. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom