Feeding pleco Cucumber ... Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emi1990

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I bought some cucumber for my plec and i put a thin slice in my tank but it just floated to the top. So i then thought if i put a bigger chunk in it might not float but it did.
Does this matter if it floats ? Or can the plec not get to it then?

I want to start feeding the plec more cucumber because when I put algae wafers in all of the other fish eat it before the plec has chance!!
Is there any other vegetables you can give a plec?

My fish are greedy and would eat all day every day if they could !!!

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They make plastic veggie clips that suction cup to the side of the tank. Sometimes they are in the saltwater section

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh great !! When I bought the plec they said just to put it in but I thought that can't be right.

Thanks ?

Or use weights that are used for fishing.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some people use those black clips that teachers always use. Cant think of the name...

But yeah one of those with a slice of cucumber. You might have to tie on a weight of some kind, but its cheap.

Im all about that cheap stuff hhaha!

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Some people use those black clips that teachers always use. Cant think of the name...

But yeah one of those with a slice of cucumber. You might have to tie on a weight of some kind, but its cheap.

Im all about that cheap stuff hhaha!

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Binder Clips!

There yah go :)

That's another good idea, do those rust?

Well not if you just leave them in there for a few hours.

Also, FORKS. The easiest one. Metal fork, stab the cucumber, drop it in. Perfecto! Simple, easy. Its fine as long as it isnt in the water for like a day or something. A few hours is all good. Overnight is probably ok to.

Not sure on how long exactly, but i am sure a few hours is fine for both things.

How in the heck did I not think of something so simple as forks man! Lol

I wouldnt use a fork. Just incase a fish injired itself on the fork. I use a small spoon. Put the cucumber through the handle of the spoon

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys those ideas are brill!!!

Looked online for some clips but they can be a bit pricey so spoon it is !!!

Not sure if this applies to cucumbers, but when I zap zucchini slices in the microwave, they soften up and sink on their own when placed in the tank. The raw ones float.
I like the fork on a string (fishing line) method, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldnt use a fork. Just incase a fish injired itself on the fork. I use a small spoon. Put the cucumber through the handle of the spoon

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I should think smaller fish will be fine as they wouldn't usually be able to hit themselves on it hard enough to do anything more than a flesh wound, the only risk would be if they were being chased by another fish really fast and rammed into it on accident (unlikely) and hit an eye. Even then, probably not fatal. And if the points are imbedded in the cucumber the fish will have to eat in quite an odd pattern to make accidents likely.

They live in nature with pointy rocks and twigs, a fork shouldn't be a problem. :)

But yeah, fork or spoon or binder clip.

Slice thin and put in a bowl of water and microwave it for about 2-3 minutes and it will sink

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom