Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, unfortunately it can be much harder to eat healthy as a human in the developed world.

My algae eaters eat NLS. My plecos, reticulated hillstream loach, etc. don't get any other foods. Obviously they can have what algae grows in the tanks and they usually have driftwood too (except the ones in the 75 with the goldfish).

Algae eaters (plecos and the like) are the same as other fish. They have adapted to get all the nutrients they need (very similar to the nutritional needs of other fish) from algae and other foods. My bristlenose plecos come right out and chow down on the Thera+A pellets just like all the other fish in the tank.

NLS's site has done a good job of compiling the information about the food, and I agree that he does take some liberties in some of the things he claims (but not much). Overall if you read their nutrition article, watch the video, and read the reviews you will get a good idea of what this food can do.

I have said it before and I will say it now, what you can achieve with this food is something I have not heard of with other foods. I have not heard of mandarins taking any prepared food except NLS. I have not heard of Moorish idols living in captivity for years on any diet, especially not any prepared food, except NLS. When Hikari has a food that can keep Moorish idols alive for years I want to know about it. When Omega One has a food that can raise captive bred mandarins I want to know. It can be hard to see the difference with most freshwater fish. They are hardy and can take to and do well enough on almost any food. But it is a whole different league to be able to keep almost all saltwater fish on a food, and be able to use the food for the corals in the tank. The results that so many aquarists (not just me, my experience, or my opinion) have achieved with NLS are different than what has been achieved with almost any other food out there.

Petco carries NLS now, but not many types, sizes, etc. Just get it online, you will get the one you want, in the size you want. I would go with the Thera+A formula because it has enough garlic to kill some parasites.

I keep the food out of children's reach and when I let them feed the tank I give them the proper amount in the cap and they can dump it all in without possibly polluting tha tank.

Homedog98 said:
I know petsmart sells omega one, and some forms of hikari, but I think you have to buy New Life Spectrum online if petsmart is what you have.

Thank you :)

Fishguy2727 said:
Petco carries NLS now, but not many types, sizes, etc. Just get it online, you will get the one you want, in the size you want. I would go with the Thera+A formula because it has enough garlic to kill some parasites.

I keep the food out of children's reach and when I let them feed the tank I give them the proper amount in the cap and they can dump it all in without possibly polluting tha tank.

Out of reach is not something possible in my house. She learnt how to climb a long time ago!! Nothing is safe!
I feel the cupboard locks will have to come back to be honest.
Il certainly investigate into pellets when I next need some fish food.

I use NLS cichlid formula, I see your suposed to feed only what they consume in a couple of min. However, I notice the fish spill alot out of their gills... why? and does this contribute to "over feeding" causing the tank to muck up and the filter to clog prematurely?

@ the OP: Lol, take her shopping when you buy the food (or show her when it gets here if online) and tell her (in a very serious voice) that if you eat these, they are poisonous, and will turn you into a rake. Lol.

Homedog98 said:
@ the OP: Lol, take her shopping when you buy the food (or show her when it gets here if online) and tell her (in a very serious voice) that if you eat these, they are poisonous, and will turn you into a rake. Lol.

Haha. Might be a useful idea!
She knows. She just doesn't listen. Sure she will taste one and soon decide against it! It worked with the cats food lol :)

I don't give treats. I don't think they need it. If you prefer to do it I recommend to keep it minimal. Something like a little bit once a week (at the most) shouldn't have a major effect on the overall nutrition. It also helps to pick a high quality treat (like frozen spirulina brine instead of just bloodworms).

Don't go by their 'cichlid formula', 'goldfish formula', etc. They are all the same. NLS has three main types of food: regular (which is the same as the cichlid, goldfish, and most of their foods), Grow (has extra protein and fat that growing fish need but is not ideal long term for adult fish), and the Thera+A (has more garlic, enough to kill some parasites). I feed the Thera+A. I, and many others who feed it exclusively, have found that the fish have noticeably fewer health problems overall (also true of NLS in general, but it seems to be even more so with the Thera+A formula). Long term I think the Thera+A is best, then you just have to decide which pellet size is best. For most community fish the 1mm will be fine. Goldfish, cichlids, and other larger fish may do better with the 2mm or 3mm pellets. Huge fish can get the big pellets (7mm, or the 10mm).

If the ottos will eat it they should do well with NLS if the algae supply in the tank is limited.

Yes, unfortunately it can be much harder to eat healthy as a human in the developed world.

My algae eaters eat NLS. My plecos, reticulated hillstream loach, etc. don't get any other foods. Obviously they can have what algae grows in the tanks and they usually have driftwood too (except the ones in the 75 with the goldfish).

Algae eaters (plecos and the like) are the same as other fish. They have adapted to get all the nutrients they need (very similar to the nutritional needs of other fish) from algae and other foods. My bristlenose plecos come right out and chow down on the Thera+A pellets just like all the other fish in the tank.

NLS's site has done a good job of compiling the information about the food, and I agree that he does take some liberties in some of the things he claims (but not much). Overall if you read their nutrition article, watch the video, and read the reviews you will get a good idea of what this food can do.

I have said it before and I will say it now, what you can achieve with this food is something I have not heard of with other foods. I have not heard of mandarins taking any prepared food except NLS. I have not heard of Moorish idols living in captivity for years on any diet, especially not any prepared food, except NLS. When Hikari has a food that can keep Moorish idols alive for years I want to know about it. When Omega One has a food that can raise captive bred mandarins I want to know. It can be hard to see the difference with most freshwater fish. They are hardy and can take to and do well enough on almost any food. But it is a whole different league to be able to keep almost all saltwater fish on a food, and be able to use the food for the corals in the tank. The results that so many aquarists (not just me, my experience, or my opinion) have achieved with NLS are different than what has been achieved with almost any other food out there.
If this were in the saltwater forums, I wouldn't even be in this thread. The fact that you just stated the bold statement just made my day :)

It means that even bad foods can allow many freshwater fish to do well. But well doesn't mean they can't do better. Many people find well enough to be well enough and then just stick with it. The differences may be subtle (sometimes) but long term it will be much better. I prefer a higher standard than 'well enough'.

Well I think that Hikari is a fine brand and that is what I'm using. I'm not going out to buy some top of the market stuff when my fish are thriving on something that I already have. What amounts should I feed in. How much of an algae wafer for my pleco? How many little pellets for my cories and loaches. I'm not asking what you think a good brand is... I have a perfectly good brand. Please just answer my question!

It varies. Depending on how many fish you have and how aggressive each is about eating everything should be eaten in about two minutes, or as long as five minutes, the wafers can last longer but once the fish are no longer eating it should be gone. It is trial and error to see how much your fish eat and how quickly they eat it.

Fishguy2727 said:
I don't give treats. I don't think they need it. If you prefer to do it I recommend to keep it minimal. Something like a little bit once a week (at the most) shouldn't have a major effect on the overall nutrition. It also helps to pick a high quality treat (like frozen spirulina brine instead of just bloodworms).

Don't go by their 'cichlid formula', 'goldfish formula', etc. They are all the same. NLS has three main types of food: regular (which is the same as the cichlid, goldfish, and most of their foods), Grow (has extra protein and fat that growing fish need but is not ideal long term for adult fish), and the Thera+A (has more garlic, enough to kill some parasites). I feed the Thera+A. I, and many others who feed it exclusively, have found that the fish have noticeably fewer health problems overall (also true of NLS in general, but it seems to be even more so with the Thera+A formula). Long term I think the Thera+A is best, then you just have to decide which pellet size is best. For most community fish the 1mm will be fine. Goldfish, cichlids, and other larger fish may do better with the 2mm or 3mm pellets. Huge fish can get the big pellets (7mm, or the 10mm).

If the ottos will eat it they should do well with NLS if the algae supply in the tank is limited.

Look, I understand that NLS is a good product, but you're taking this a little too far. I like NLS, and would love to use it, but I'm firm in my belief that fish want/need more variety in their diets. Supplementing different veggies and protiens that look/taste a little different while feeding NLS, are to me key in giving fish a more adventurous, and in my opinion nutritious lifestyle. Fish don't eat the same thing every time they catch a meal in the wild do they? So why not change things up a bit you know? Also, You keep giving us trouble for making opinions because we haven't tried feeding exclusively, but have you ever tried supplementing their diets with veggies while still on NLS? If you have, I understand your reasoning, but what works for you might not always work for somebody else.

Feeding algae eaters NLS is like feeding a cat lettuce. If you want your fish to be healthy, feed them what they're meant to eat.

Feeding algae eaters NLS is like feeding a cat lettuce. If you want your fish to be healthy, feed them what they're meant to eat.

Have you even read the label of NLS waters? It's reads almost identical with your so called "algae wafers" by Hikari and such but the ingredients read much better on NLS, actually giving details not just of bunch of meals. So before you go make a ignorant statement that like, a comparison of labels in order.

Have you even read the label of NLS waters? It's reads almost identical with your so called "algae wafers" by Hikari and such but the ingredients read much better on NLS, actually giving details not just of bunch of meals. So before you go make a ignorant statement that like, a comparison of labels in order.

I was comparing more the community formula than the wafers; if you want to feed a vegetable-based NLS food as a supplement to regular pellet food, that's fine too. Though I still recommend feeding live/frozen or real vegetables as well.

Do you buy the claims that every product website makes? I fed my moorish idols an exclusive bacon diet and they lived for 40 years and grew wings. I'm sure the claims are valid, but you have to admit they are completely biased, so comparing them to another brand is ridiculous.

I don't think anyone is knocking NLS as being a high quality food, but come on, at least quote something outside of their own advertising.

Balance or not, I do find it interesting that healthy, fresh fruits and vegetables are being talked down in favor of preservative laden processed food.

Back
Top Bottom