Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only Sundays? ;)
It is still recommended to fast fish one a week. It allows them to digest and pass everything in their gut IMO helping to avoid issues associated with overeating like constipation. On fast days they will also scavenge any food left over in the tank. I actually fast my fish up to 3 days a week. Some hobbyists only feed every second day.

Mumma.of.two said:
Only Sundays? ;)
It is still recommended to fast fish one a week. It allows them to digest and pass everything in their gut IMO helping to avoid issues associated with overeating like constipation. On fast days they will also scavenge any food left over in the tank. I actually fast my fish up to 3 days a week. Some hobbyists only feed every second day.

Does this not make the fish aggressive?

i skip one day a week - and yes it does happen to be sunday but I hadn't heard the sunday rule

I feed my FW tank about 3 days a week. It has never caused me any problems. The water is clean and the fish are healthy. Most folks overfeed their tanks which can lead to all kinds of issues with your fish, as mumma pointed out, and also can cause things like excess phosphates and nitrates, which lead to algae growth.

There's nothing magic about Sundays, but at least one day of fasting is a good thing. Personally I feed my guppies 6 days a week, my bettas get fasted more often along with days of feeding peas to help their digestion, and my puffers get meaty meals maybe 4 days a week.

Back
Top Bottom